[Vision2020] Crazy Train

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Apr 22 09:27:58 PDT 2006

Are we sure that Ed is writing satirically?  I would hate to suggest that
his excellent punctuation and syntax gives him away -- usually someone in
the midst of a homophobic lather can't be bothered with commas and the like.

Still, since he fooled Chas, and since there are a lot of people undoubtedly
cheering his gung-ho, go-get-'em rant, I would just suggest that his
arguments, Swiftian or not, deserve commentary.

With full respect toward sincere followers of those religious traditions
whose scriptures condemn homosexuality, the best and most faithful
demonstration of Judeo-Christian teaching is and always has been a
recognition that no one is too far from God's lovingkindness, and that
judgment inevitably is visited upon those whose idea of devotion is hatred
toward those deemed unfaithful. Hatred toward human beings is not condemned
in just a few verses, but in the totality of Scripture; interpretive
differences notwithstanding, the few verses that condemn homosexual behavior
can never trump the seamlessness of the message of God's redemptive, amazing
love.

No one ever needed God because they were gay.  No one's need for God was
ever eliminated because they were straight.  We need God because HE  IS, and
because in every possible way, we are by nature not as He is.  Rather than
taking prideful refuge in being right, we ought to pursue being righteous.

It doesn't start with ill-informed, bigoted, hate-fueled and dishonest
rants, and it isn't sealed by the writer's being a hearty heterosexual.

keely

keely