[Vision2020] name of this list

melynda at moscow.com melynda at moscow.com
Fri Apr 21 13:24:26 PDT 2006

> You took the phonetics right out of my mouth Kit.  I just wasn't sure
how to write it.  Is
it "here here", "hear hear", or "hear here".  Yours makes the most sense
to me and when
the opportunity arises again, I want to make sure I'm using the proper
word sequencing.

According to that divine instrument, the Oxford English Dictionary:

 "13. a. The imperative hear!, now usually repeated, hear! hear!
(formerly hear him! hear him!) is used as an exclamation to call
attention to a speaker's words, and hence has become a general expression
of approbation or ‘cheering’.

  "It is now the regular form of cheering [CHEER n.1 8] in the House of
Commons, and expresses, according to intonation, admiration,
acquiescence, indignation, derision, etc.

"1689 SIR E. SEYMOUR 19 Feb. in Cobbett Parl. Hist. V. 122, I see
gentlemen speak here under great disadvantages..When gentlemen speak with
reflections, and cry ‘hear him, hear him’, they [the former] cannot speak
with freedom. 1689 SIR H. CAPEL ibid., When Seymour was in the Chair, I
have heard ‘Hear him, hear him’, often said in the house. 1762 FOOTE
Orators II. Wks. 1836 II. 176 Ter. Dermot, be easy Scam. Hear him Tire.
Hear him Ter. Ay, hear him, hear him. 1768 LD. J. CAVENDISH Sp. Ho. Com.
8 Dec. in Sir H. Cavendish Deb. (1841) I. 96 Let us..give a dispassionate
attention to everything that passes. [Hear!] That very word ‘hear!’ I
dread of all others. 1769 SIR F. NORTON Sp. ibid. 432 The common law is
as much the law as the statute law. [Mr. Grenville called out hear!
hear!] If the hon. gentleman will hear, by and by he will hear. 1770 G.
GRENVILLE Sp. 16 Feb. ibid. 461 The House will be obliged to you [the
Speaker] for your information. [Hear, Hear!] Mr. Speaker, I beg the House
will be silent. I am sure that is disorderly. 1783 Gentl. Mag. LIII. II.
822 As to himself, he was free to acknowledge..the hand which he had in
it (A cry of Hear him! Hear him!) By the cry of Hear Him! said his
Lordship, gentlemen seem to think I am going to make a confession. 1803
in Stanhope Life Pitt (1862) IV. 49 When he [Pitt] sat down there
followed three of the..most enthusiastic bursts of applause I ever
heard..as far as I observed, however, it was confined to the
parliamentary ‘Hear him! Hear him!’ 1812 Parl. Deb. 5 May in Examiner 11
May 292/2 Orders were sent off to Mr. Henry to withdraw from the United
States.(Hear, hear!) 1865 LOWELL Scotch the Snake Prose Wks. 1890 V. 251
One Noble Lord or Honorable Member asking a question, and another Noble
Lord or Honorable Member endeavoring to dodge it, amid cries of Hear!
Hear!
    "b. Hence as n. hear, hear! (formerly hear-him), a cheer. Also hear-
hear v. intr., to shout ‘hear! hear!’; trans., to acclaim with shouts
of ‘hear! hear!’; to cheer. Hence hear-hearer.

"1727 POPE, etc. Art of Sinking 115 The hear him of the house of commons.
1736 BOLINGBROKE Patriot. (1749) 48 With repeated hear-hims ringing in
his ears. 1836 Westm. Rev. Apr. 233 The hear hims are more fervent than
on almost any other occasion. 1837 DICKENS Pickw. vii, I thank my
honourable friend, if he will allow me to call him so(four hears, and one
certainly from Mr. Jingle)for the suggestion. 1855  Dorrit I. xxxiv,
Hearing, and ohing, and cheering. 1868 DISRAELI Sp. in Ho. Com. 3 Apr.,
If the hear-hearers have their way. 1879 SIR G. CAMPBELL White & Black
374 The members seemed generally very quiet; there was little ‘Hear,
hearing!’ 1883 Standard 3 Apr. 5/4 He..‘hear, hears’ the member for
Northampton. 1895 Daily News 3 Dec. 3/1 Mr. Morley's explanation of his
position..was received with sympathetic hear, hears."

Relishing the glories of a really good dictionary,

Melynda Huskey

whiblin:  Of doubtful origin and meaning; perh. a slang term
denoting ‘thingumbob’, ‘what-d'ye-call-it’; but cf. WHIBBLE and QUIBLIN.
  With quot. 1604 cf. WHIFLING, WHIMLING.

1604 DEKKER Honest Wh. I. I. ii, Hees a very mandrake, or else..one a
these whiblins, and thats worse, and then all the children that he gets
lawfully of your body sister, are bastards by a statute. 1613 MARSTON
Insat. C'tess II. Djb, A rare whiblin, To be reueng'd, and yet gaine
pleasure in't. 1623 J. TAYLOR (Water P.) World runs on Wheels Wks. (1630)
II. 234/1 Proiects..of planting the Ile of Dogs with Whiblins,
Corwhichets, Mushromes and Tobacco. a1652 BROME Lovesick Court V. i,
Come, Sir, let go your whiblin. (Dis. snatcheth his sword away.)