[Vision2020] Crazy Train

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Fri Apr 21 12:34:01 PDT 2006

Dear Visionaries:

I am done arguing with Donovan.  Perhaps not forever, but certainly for
now.  If list members want to talk about water, let's talk about water.
  We cannot, however, only talk about water.  There's more at stake in
the future of Moscow.  Smart growth, dumb growth, and anti-growth;
growth that benefits the few, not the many.  There's also urban
renewal, development options, the University of Idaho, traffic along
the Miracle Mile, and parking in the downtown retail district.  As we
get into issues of cultural hegemony and differing visions of what
constitutes a healthy and diverse community, we're bound to get into
sticky territory.  We're facing a constitutional amendment banning
same-sex marriage on the November ballot.  I expect some important and
potentially hot debates over that.  And when we do get around to it, I
warn you, Pastor You-Know-Who and his You-Know-Church will likely serve
as both the tar baby and the briar patch.  If He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named
takes as active a role in this political fight as he took in the 1994
battle over Proposition One, then it's going to get hot in here.  Might
want to open a window.

That said, I think it's important to recognize that unmoderated chat
groups are like the railroad tracks in a Roadrunner cartoon.  We, the
list members, are like Wile E. Coyote.  We're on the train, chasing the
Roadrunner, when we look out the window and see that we're running out
of track.  So, we open up the Acme box and hang out on the engine,
laying track before the train just as fast as we can.  What happens?
We find ourselves halfway over a chasm; we look down, pause, and drop,
right to the bottom of a deep canyon, where we thump to a halt in a
cloud of dust.  But we always get back up again.  That's the nature of
this list, and it's the nature of every other unmoderated list.
Freedom of expression is not freedom from annoyance, and if it were,
I'd be bored senseless.  This is a great community, and I'm always
interested to hear what most of you have to say.

It's true that my Bozo Bin is wide and deep, and that I filter out
quite a few posters, but I have relatives that I don't like, either.  I
don't want to hang out with them, but I don't think they should be
tossed from the family.  I still meet up with them once a year at the
family reunion, and we watch one another eat fried chicken.  (It's
always too greasy.  Best to stick to the deviled eggs.)

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com