[Vision2020] (no subject)

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri Apr 21 11:45:51 PDT 2006

Publishing the names of alleged offenders serves several purposes, among
them:

1.    Serves as a warning/precaution of other people who know or who might
be potential victims of the accused.  In the case of rape, where many
offenses go unreported, this is a particular important function.  There are
many are crimes where similar alerts about the possible offense(s) are
important, such as child sexual abuse.  Failure for parents to find out that
a potential sexual predator has possible access to their child may lead to
further unnecessary tragedies.  The same is true of other crimes:  DUI,
theft, bunco, assault, etc.

2.    It reminds the public and potential offenders that if they offend and
are caught or there at least exists probable cause to believe they have
offended, then they will receive unwelcome publicity.  The fear of bad
publicity has been shown to be a deterrent for many people.  An experiment
with this in Boundary County by a newspaper editor in the early 1980s
reduced the infraction and misdemeanor rate about 75% in about 6 months time
until a new editor discontinued the practice of printing all arrests and
infractions and their final dispositions.

One would hope that everyone knows that an arrest is legally different from
a conviction.  The tentative nature of an arrest should be evident.

Further, all arrests are matters of public record.  If the media or the law
enforcement people didn't publish the names, then others could and probably
would.  In fact, there has been some off-list discussion of regularly
posting names and alleged offenses from all law enforcement activities in
Latah County.

What would really be a community service of the various media would be to
show the final disposition of all arrests and infractions:  What the
original charge(s) was/(were) and what the results of a trial or plea
bargain was/(were).  The public would not only be informed but surprised and
really pissed off at some of the plea bargains and some of the non-actions
that occur.

W.