[Vision2020] Boarding House information

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Apr 15 18:55:04 PDT 2006

Perhaps I'm just feeling melancholy, but wasn't there a time that churches
considered it a good thing to avoid the appearance of evil, not rush
headlong into it?  And while zoning code violations are hardly "evil," they
are wrong, and the admonition to avoid the appearance thereof stands
unassailed by arguments that something's not THAT wrong.

The Christ Church elders knew six years ago that these were considered
boarding houses; that they were not in compliance, nor would same be in
compliance as long as the code was unchanged; and they were told to stop it.
  Now, since I'm in a melancholy but charitable mood, I might accept that
the individuals who rent out their homes to boarders didn't know it was
against code to do so ... which is all the more reason for the CC elders to
hang their heads in shame, having thus led innocent people into wrongdoing,
causing them to stumble in their Christian witness.

Of course, if the heads of these households KNEW it was wrong, and the
elders encouraged them to do it anyway, we have a whole lot of head-hanging
that ought to go on -- but, as I am currently melancholy, charitable AND
cynical, I don't expect to see it.

On this Easter weekend, I am reminded that the Gospel of Christ crucified
and risen is offensive enough to many people; it really isn't good for the
brethren to make it even more so by behaving badly.

Kirk leaders, why not let the Christ you preach roll the stone of contempt
away from the tomb of your hearts?   I suspect you might see Easter in a
wonderful new light . . .

keely