[Vision2020] Complaints Filed Against Boarding Houses

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 11 21:56:55 PDT 2006

Joe,

  This is bull. This is deliberate attacks against people in their own homes because people disagree with them on other issues.

  There is no violation of zoning laws if a person rents a room in their  house out to a college student. There is not a neighborhood in Moscow  that does not. This is a college town. Rents would double overnight if  we kicked out college students living in private homes.

  You cannot make up rules as you go and only enforce them against one group of people.

  _DJA

joekc at adelphia.net wrote:Do  zoning laws mean anything anymore? Aren't conservative religious  organizations as guilty of using the law to harass others as anyone  else?
My eye sees no pity.
--
Joe Campbell

---- Donovan Arnold  wrote:

=============
I  think this amounts to harassment when one guy files 17 complaints  against one group of students throughout town when they all happen to  be living going to NSA.

 Imagine if they were all Black, or  Gay, Moscow would not stand for this. This is sheer cowardice on the  part of the Don Huskey to continue his harassment of these people. Don  Huskey doesn't even live in Moscow.

  _DJA

Tom Hansen  wrote:  >From today's (April 11, 2006) Moscow-Pullman Daily News -

Complaints filed against boarding houses

Moscow residents say at least 20 in violation of zoning laws

By Omie Drawhorn
Daily News staff writer

Some Moscow residents want parking and noise problems they say stem from
neighboring boarding houses to stop.

The city has received three complaints over the past two months regarding at
least 20 properties throughout town. City code allows owners of homes in
single-family residential zones to rent out one room with the approval of a
conditional use permit. Applicants must prove there is adequate parking and
that the boarding house would not disrupt the character of the neighborhood.

The complainants do not think the boarding houses are operating legally.
Moscow resident Don Huskey filed a complaint against 17 properties in Moscow
he thinks are boarding houses coordinated through New Saint Andrews College.

"To my knowledge there have been no requests for conditional use permits
submitted to the city of Moscow for these boarding houses," he wrote.

Huskey claims the number of people living in the boarding houses greatly
exceeds the boarders allowed even if a conditional use permit was granted.

The city Administrative Committee discussed the city code and neighbors'
complaints Monday. Committee chairwoman and City Councilwoman Linda Pall
asked City Attorney Randy Fife to create a memo with more information about
the zoning question and the addition of two amendments clarifying the
definitions of boarding houses and bed and breakfasts.

"There are inconsistencies in our code," Fife said. "The code needs to be
clarified before much can be done."

Boarding houses are money-making properties and are seen as commercial
facilities in a residential zone, he said.

"The issue is exchanging money for space," Pall said, but the definition of
a family and how it differs from a boarding house scenario also is at issue.

The code recognizes the definition of a "relationship" family, those related
by blood, adoption or marriage, as well as the "functional" family. In a
functional family, up to six unrelated people are allowed to inhabit a home
as long as they act as though they are a family. This could be any
combination of people not related by blood.

Diane Baumgart, who lives in the Pope, Stephens and University Heights 2nd
additions filed one of the complaints and a petition signed by more than 40
neighbors.

"Illegal rental units are in direct competition with legitimate businesses
that operate rental units," she wrote in her complaint. "Residents who obey
the zoning code are currently being penalized. Our rights are not being
respected or protected."

Pall said some people hate the noise, parking or the appearance of old
upholstered furniture on the front porch.

The solution to the problem is simple, said committee member and Councilman
Aaron Ament. "Enforce the law. If someone makes a complaint, the city should
come and check it out."
It's important to move quickly because school at the University of Idaho and
New Saint Andrews gets out at the end of May and many students are making
housing arrangements, Pall said. She suggested a plan of outreach, outlining
the laws for potential renters, real estate agents and neighbors.

The committee will discuss boarding houses in single family residential
zoning areas again at their next meeting at 4:30 p.m. April 24 at City Hall,
206 E. Third St.

* In other committee business, it was decided the police chief will
determine the fate of vicious dogs, and cats will continue to run freely in
Moscow after changes to laws regulating animals were rejected.

The changes would have created an animal care law, a law addressing
dangerous dogs and the creation of a commission that would promote education
around animal care issues.

"I say we leave the situation as it is," said Moscow City Councilman and
committee member John Weber. Passing the new laws "would increase
administration costs and we'd still end up with a number of free roaming
cats."

Moscow Police Chief Dan Weaver agreed.

"It wouldn't be serving animals any differently than now," he said. He said
the changes would have cost $27,000 a year.

You know what this means, don't you?

40+ more Intoleristas

I'm definitely gonna need a larger rolodex now.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"When people sin, everybody has to pay."

- Douglas Wilson of Wilson, Inc. (dba Christ Church) (June 7, 2002)

For more details:  http://www.NotOnThePalouse.com

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com