[Vision2020] A (Kirker) Sicilian opera ends badly

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 11 15:00:33 PDT 2006

Recently, a series of e-mails between a Kurtis Smith, kirker/non-kirker of
Christ Church and poohsthink.com was published, much to Doug Wilson's
chagrin.  He so disliked them, he DEMANDED that the e-mails be taken down
immediately...they were much to the disappointment of free-thinkers
everywhere.

If an organization - any organization - can not stand a demand for
justification of its stance and clarification of leadership's actions and in
fact attempts to hide its wrong-doing by squashing its detractors, can its
legitimacy truly not be called into question?

The e-mails can be easily found through google, so Doug, don't get your
panties all up in a wad...but, since Mr. Smith's demands for CC to respond
to requests for meetings that were made and his saying that he would parade
up and down main street with an neon orange plackerd shouting how unfair CC
is to its members met with such prompt and resounding disapproval by you and
Mike Lawyer, were so many, (19 e-mails in all) I thought I'd just publish
your responses - after all you did NOT say they should'nt be published, now
did you?

"I find Kurtis Smith's reasoning unassailable, and your behavior in light of
that reasoning inexplicable." --Doug Wilson

The elders of Christ Church require that you remove any and all references
to Kurtis Smith (including pseudonyms) from your blog site by 3:00 PM today.

Officially,

Mike Lawyer
One behalf of the Elders of
Christ Church, Moscow

(Later in this morning)
This is an official notice to acknowledge your compliance with our request
to remove Kurtis Smith’s name from your blog.

In Christ,

Mike Lawyer
On behalf of the Session of
Christ Church, Moscow

To quote a friend of poohsthink.com:

"This is what Emmanuel Sivan has rightly termed "The Enclave Culture".
Instead of vigorous and open intellectual intercourse and having their
reasoning exposed to criticism and debate, the Kirk leaders instead thread
their ideas through the eye of a needle to pass them on. This does not make
for healthy Christian community; rather, it deepens the cult-like behavior
of the enclave and exacerbates their isolation, speeding up the cultural
death-spiral.

I'm not your pastor or your confessor, but only a distant Christian brother.
But I urge you with all sincerity to cut your losses with the Kirk for no
other reason than your moral sanity and the sake of your family. The
session's recent actions betray their duplicity, and you are nothing more to
them now than agitprop. They are not just distancing themselves from your
relationally, but intentionally failing you regarding their most basic
Christian responsibilities. In moral and religious terms, they are utterly
bankrupt. Get out while you still can. This Sicilian opera ends badly"

J  :]