[Vision2020] WRAPUP LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER?????

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Fri Apr 7 17:07:12 PDT 2006

 WRAPUP LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER?????

    The Idaho Legislature in its wisdom adjourned today without acting
on a single bill.  The Legislature will resume legislative matters on
Monday.   We were told that we would be out of here three weeks
ago.   I am leaving on Saturday because I have a national meeting next
week in Chicago.   I have paired off my votes on the remaining bills and
have signed some other pairing slips.   I'll be in phone contact so that if
some new bill comes up, I'll still be able to vote for it.  Here are some
of the week's happenings.

    1.  HB876  --  The Home Owners’ Exemption was coupled together
with the 3 mil M & O to be replaced by a 1.25% sales tax increase.
This represented a total of about $250,000,000 in property tax relief.
The bill passed the House on a 44-26 margin but was defeated 20-15 in
the Senate.  Economic studies indicated that if you had an income of
$135,000 and above that you would get some property tax relief, and
that those with an income of $195,000 or above would get the most
property tax relief.   Those with an income of $20,000 took the biggest
hit.  I voted against the bill.

    2.   HB421  --  The Home Owners’ Exemption, which increases the
 exemption from $50,000 to $75,000 and is indexed, has already passed
 the House and Senate.  All we have to do on the House side is simply
 agree with the Senate amendments.  I support this bill which will
 provide some estimated $45 million in property tax relief for home
 owners.

     3.   Other tax possibilities  --  There are rumors that a bill might
still be brought up to place a freeze on property taxes  --  a bad idea.
Another proposal to ask citizens to indicate their preferences on property
tax relief is on the November ballot.

      4.  Experience Idaho  --  The Governor's Park bill passed.   An
additional $26 million was approved to enhance Idaho Parks.

      5.  Broadband Expansion  --  We approved an appropriation of $5
million to expand broadband infrastructure to rural Idaho.

That's all for now.   I'd like to keep hearing from you in the future.   My
e-mail is

ttrail at moscow.com

Representative Tom Trail