[Vision2020] Re: Never Letting Go

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 2 01:43:57 PST 2006

Ted writes;

  "Donovan et. al.
       . . .

    But  in my simple minded brain, it seems that the taxes that businesses pay  help support the parking spaces they need to attract customers to  the CBD.  If an operation is not paying the same taxes, taxes  that other businesses are paying to support the parking spaces,  and the patrons of the tax exempt operation are taking parking  spaces away from potential customers that would have patronized the tax  paying businesses, the tax paying businesses are being robbed of some  of the benefits they expect from their taxes, by a tax exempt  operation."

 If in fact local businesses are paying a special  tax for the maintenance and enforcement of downtown parking, I think  you would have a point. However, local businesses downtown are getting  the benefits of free parking provided by everyone in the community  without having to pay the property taxes on that parking. If business  are entitled to parking provided by the city, why does Wal-Mart, the  Palouse Mall, Safeway, Tristate, and Moscow Building Supply not get  free parking from the city too? All of these businesses had to buy  their own land for the parking, they have to pay property taxes on this  land, and in addition, they have to pay for the parking and maintenance  of parking spaces for their competition downtown. Sounds rather unfair  to me.

 I would also like to point out that downtown  businesses are just as likely or more likely to benefit from  non-profits being located downtown because they bring people to their  location that would not otherwise be in the area. Most the businesses I  know downtown I discovered by visiting another business or organization  downtown.

  You also ask;

  Is there a local treatment program for Internet list serve addiction?

  Yes, it meets online every Sunday at 3:15 AM, if you are really addicted you will attend.

  "I'll blame it on my dysfunctional childhood."

  As opposed to your dysfunctional adulthood?

  Have fun Donovan!  Life is too short, as we say.

  As is illustrated in this short humorous video clip:

  http://youtube.com/watch?v=qB_il0WVUrw

  Take Care,

  _DJA

  Ted Moffett <starbliss at gmail.com> wrote:  Donovan et. al.

  I am not a lawyer, though on Vision2020 I get to play one!

  But  in my simple minded brain, it seems that the taxes that businesses pay  help support the parking spaces they need to attract customers to  the CBD.  If an operation is not paying the same taxes, taxes  that other businesses are paying to support the parking spaces,  and the patrons of the tax exempt operation are taking parking  spaces away from potential customers that would have patronized the tax  paying businesses, the tax paying businesses are being robbed of some  of the benefits they expect from their taxes, by a tax exempt  operation.

  Maybe I have this wrong.  Please excuse my simple brain.

  But  the main issue was whether a Madrassa seeking to operate in the CBD  would have received the same treatment as NSA in being allowed to  establish itself there, and whether those who think progressives are  hypocrites in opposing NSA's presence in the CBD would be acting quite  differently if there was a Madrassa now established in the CBD.

  Perhaps you could address this point?

  I'm  done for today.  Three posts and I'm out!  I'm just glad the  posts are not felonies, because in California I'd be in for life.

  I keep trying to ignore this silly list  serve... And no doubt there are some who wish I would.  I am  suffering from the illusion that I can really make a difference via  words posted on computer screens on the Internet.  Where did I get  that unrealistic idealistic notion?  Money talks and bullshit  walks!  I can BS, but I have little cash, so I guess I'm  walking...

  You work with the disabled,  correct?  Is there a local treatment program for Internet  list serve addiction?  Some kind of twelve step program?  I  could attend and announce "My name is Ted, and I am a listservaholic."

  If there is such a support group, do you attend?

  I'm  sorry, that was mean... I'll blame it on my dysfunctional  childhood.  I do try to be kind in all my interactions with living  beings, but we all have our limits, except the saints among us, and  even then...

  Have fun Donovan!  Life is too short, as we say.

  Ted Moffett

  On 4/1/06, Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:    Ted,

You  wrote, "Suddenly the violations of zoning law involving placing a  tax exempt higher education institution in the CBD, taking parking and  business away from other tax paying businesses,"

How does a  church or any tax exempt entity take away public parking from local  businesses? Doesn't a business have to OWN the property in the first  place to have it taken away?  Why am I obligated, as a taxpayer,  to pay for X number of parking spaces for a business? Why does a  business downtown get entitled to free parking at the taxpayer expense  but businesses outside the CBD have to provide their own customer  parking?

Why do think that a business has business taken away  from them? To make such a claim is to state that the public has an  obligation to purchase products or services from a particular company  just because it exists. I believe a business earns or fails to earn  business from the public, it cannot be taken away from them because  they do not own it.

_DJA

Ted Moffett <starbliss at gmail.com  > wrote:     All:

  Many  of those who proclaim the "progressives" who oppose the presence  of NSA in the CBD are hypocrites violating their own standards of  promoting diversity and religious tolerance might sing a different  tune if instead of NSA in the CBD, there was a Madrassa teaching 150  Islamic youth that the USA was "the Great Satan."

  Then we would see who the hypocrites really are in this attempt to turn progressive values against progressives!

  Suddenly  the violations of zoning law involving placing a tax exempt higher  education institution in the CBD, taking parking and business away from  other tax paying businesses, might be a hot issue for those  who think Islam is not the true religion of God.  In fact, I  suspect it likely such a school in the CBD would have been stopped  based on the zoning regs. before it was even established.

  Selective  enforcement of the law is a cornerstone of bigotry and intolerance,  with favors and a "wink" handed out to those who confrom to the values  and ideology of those in power.

  Ted Moffett

  On 4/1/06, John D <johnd550 at yahoo.com> wrote:       Joan Opyr <joanopyr at moscow.com> wrote:

> If Doug Wilson did not claim to be Christian, if he called himself
> the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and his followers shaved their heads
> and dressed in saffron robes, I suspect he wouldn't get away with
> nearly so much.

  Interesting point!

---------------------------------
  Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls   to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
         mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

  Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make   PC-to-Phone Calls using Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

  Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.   PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com