[Vision2020] Republicans to Idaho's Poor: Leave or Drop Dead

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 2 01:07:44 PST 2006

I went to 9th and 10th grade at a boarding school in Bangalore, India, and a
lot of my classmates went to different IIT campuses.  And I would bet that
most students there, like the students at MIT and Caltech, came from
middle-class and upper middle-class backgrounds, not from poverty.

I'm not saying we can't do a better job making educational opportunities
available here; I'm just not about to say that in India class background
hasn't stopped making a difference.  People who grow up in poverty in India
have not seen a transformation in their opportunities across the board.

Sunil