[Vision2020] END OF IDAHO 2006 LEGISLATIVE SESSION NEWSLETTER

Baukunst baukunst at moscow.com
Sat Apr 1 09:06:16 PST 2006

Tom,
Thanks for sending out your newsletter.

My one quick comment would be on taxes.  I know it's a tough problem to find
the best solution for.  In my mind, with "over $1.5 billion /year in tax
exemptions we have  given to business, ag, forestry, mining, and industry in
general" - that is the revenue-well that needs to be tapped.  Elimination
(or reduction) of tax-exemptions - a BIG political hurdle that provides an
equitable outcome for all taxpayers.  Some businesses might balk at
(re)locating to Idaho because of a lack of industry tax relief, but the US
population shift will happen anyway with quality-of-life needs.  People are
and will continue to move to the NW.  Idaho will attract people even without
tax-exepmtions.  Moscow isn't the only entity shouldering the inequities of
tax-exepmtion - everyone without the exemption does.  I would like to see
work towards that end; to help develop a strong Idaho economy that does not
unfairly support special interests.

Best regards,
Mark