[Vision2020] Ed Iverson: Wilson's Biweekly Mouthpiece

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Thu Sep 29 11:36:50 PDT 2005

Greetings:

I've been wanting to write something about Iverson's column for some time
and this is the result.

To the Editor:

I was shocked to learn that the Daily News has given Ed Iverson, someone
closely associated with Douglas Wilson, a biweekly column.
I was hoping that Iverson and I could have some personal exchanges about a
number of issues, but he answered that this would not be possible because
I’ve called his colleagues “neo-Nazis.”
I was upset when the Idaho Statesman did not use my title on my August 12
column, but chose instead to call Wilson & Co. “neo-Nazi Christians.”  Most
of this column was first posted on Moscow’s Vision2020 (1/13/04), and it is
significant that none of the Christ Church people objected at the time.
In December, 2003, when 1200 Palousians signed a petition condemning
Wilson’s views on slavery, homosexuality, and women, I’m sure that they
concerned that Northern Idaho’s repetition would again be tarnished by
extremist views.  In my column I drew a parallel, not an identity, between
neo-Confederates and neo-Nazis.
Since the beginning of Wilson controversy, no one in Moscow has called
Wilson a “neo-Nazi.”  I’ve also accepted Wilson’s own disavowal of racism,
but he cannot say that he is not a “neo-Confederate” for the following reasons:
·Robert E. Lee’s portrait is proudly displayed in Wilson’s Logos School and
the Confederate flag has been displayed at its social functions.
·Wilson wrote an editorial supporting the right of states to leave the Union.
·Wilson has spoken at neo-Confederate Southern Heritage conferences and has
written four articles for the neo-Confederate journal Chronicles. The last
article appeared together with an ad announcing a conference in which
Lincoln would be condemned and the right of secession would be defended.
•Wilson is contributing editor for The War Between the States: America's
Uncivil War (Bluebonnet Press, 2005). Historian Ed Sebesta claims that
"this book seems to incorporate every 'Lost Cause' and modern
Neo-Confederate idea."
I wonder how many of Wilson’s pet ideas we will read every two weeks from
Ed Iverson’s pen?
Nick Gier, Moscow
"The god you worship is the god you deserve." ~~ Joseph Campbell