[Vision2020] Election questions, redux

John Dickinson johnd at moscow.com
Thu Sep 29 05:06:46 PDT 2005

Visionaries-

Here are my answers to Joan's questions.

1) Would you support a two-year moratorium on any elected official doing
business and/or bidding on a contract with the city after he or she has left
office?
No. this implies that business of former city council members get special
treatment. I expect that there are many businesses that get special
treatment and that the ones associated with the three council members who
step down every two years are not the worst offenders.

My preference would be to set up a set of policies and practices that made
special treatment, either making things easier by cutting requirements or
making things harder by adding unnecessary requirements, of anyone
impossible or at least illegal.

2) Would you enforce existing city code even if such enforcement were
painful, uncomfortable, or not politically expedient?
No. I understand that this question is about zoning city codes, but the
question asks to enforce all city codes. It is easy to find a number of
existing city codes that cannot or should not be enforced because they are
silly, petty, or difficult to convict in court. In Moscow it is illegal to
throw or catch anything in the street (like balls or Frisbees). It is
illegal to spit on the sidewalk. It is illegal for women to wear clothes
that reveal certain edges of their breasts. It is illegal for anyone to let
their dog loose in public so that a dog catching a Frisbee in a park is
illegal. Most of these are misdemeanors. So it would be possible to be
arrested and taken away for these offenses. So no, I don't think we should
enforce all our city codes. At least not until we have cleansed the code of
those items that would embarrass all of us to enforce.

I do think that zoning codes should be thoroughly understood by city staff
so that correct information can be distributed to all inquires and I also
believe that violations should be dealt with in a timely manner. Someone who
builds a 20 unit apartment complex in their backyard on a 20,000 square foot
R-1 lot should be dealt with. I wouldn't expect the apartment complex to
remain.

3) What is your position on the Third Street Bridge project?
I favor connectedness of our neighborhoods. We have subdivision statues that
specify a maximum block length. Connectivity enhances not just vehicular
traffic, but all forms of transportation including bicycles and walking.

On this specific proposal, I have stated at public meetings that I favor
building the Third Street bridge. One or more community meetings are
planned. I keep an open mind going into these meetings because I enjoy
learning about the challenges and possibilities of major projects such as
this. They are complex. Traffic flow on a new Third Street bridge would
depend on how Mountain View was structured. For example, if a traffic light
were installed at F and Mountain View, I would expect that fewer people
would leave McDonald school at 3:00 pm using D Street - waiting and waiting
to get onto Mountain View - because the light on F Street would guarantee
predictable access.

It is complex and I hear much opposition to the project and few residents in
favor of it. I don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

4) What do you believe are the most difficult issues facing ethnic and
racial minorities in our community? Also, what are the most challenging
issues faced by women, gays and lesbians, and the economically
disenfranchised?
A sense of belonging is being lost and I find that the most discouraging
aspect of our community right now. I love the diversity that the University
of Idaho brings to this area - international students and students from all
around our country with hundreds of different life styles and value systems.
Human dignity is critical for any of us to live and work and play at peace.
Each of us needs to embrace and encourage all members of our community and
stand up proud and strong with every man, woman and child who is worried
about their acceptance here. All good people who come to this fine city
should be trusted with our hospitality.

The economically disenfranchised have so much competition from the students
for jobs. The immediate care of the economically disenfranchised is the role
of the county. But the city can encourage hiring policies that provide equal
access to steady jobs. This is a difficult problem.

5) What are Moscow's three greatest opportunities in the next five years?
Our greatest opportunities are:
  a - Creating a thriving downtown business community that fills all of us
with pride.
  b - Filling the new Alturas lots with businesses that enhance our economic
well being as they contribute to the environmental quality of life that will
keep our children healthy as they grow and raise their families.
  c - Cooperating with the University of Idaho in new ways so that as the
university returns to greatness, the city will be an integrated partner.

Joan, thanks for asking.

John Dickinson
Moscow City Council

  _____

I asked these questions a few days ago of all candidates now running for
city office, but Linda Pall wisely suggests that I ask them of everyone who
is now sitting on city council. So, I do. Here they are again. Candidates
for city office and Linda, John Dickinson, JoAnn Mack, Jon Kimberling, and
Mayor Comstock, please feel free to offer your answers. I look forward to
reading them.

1) Would you support a two-year moratorium on any elected official doing
business and/or bidding on a contract with the city after he or she has left
office?
2) Would you enforce existing city code even if such enforcement were
painful, uncomfortable, or not politically expedient?
3) What is your position on the Third Street Bridge project?
4) What do you believe are the most difficult issues facing ethnic and
racial minorities in our community? Also, what are the most challenging
issues faced by women, gays and lesbians, and the economically
disenfranchised?
5) What are Moscow's three greatest opportunities in the next five years?

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com