[Vision2020] A Question Ununswered

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Sep 28 20:29:15 PDT 2005

Chasuk,

Here is one answer, accurate, but to most unpalatable.

The (intelligent) design argument briefly and simply stated is this:

1.    Everything we see in the universe seems to be a product of intelligent
design.
2.    Therefore, the universe itself is the product of intelligent design.

There are several problems with this argument.  However, there are two
killer arguments against it:

1.    It is not clear that the premise (1. above) is true.  Some would argue
that the design of some things shows a shoddiness and lack of system design
that is hideous/cruel/laughable.  Also there are lots of things in the
universe we do not know yet.  The meaning of the word "intelligent" in the
argument is not only very vague and ill-defined, but is
value-laden/normative in the context of the argument and thus the statements
containing the ambiguous term are not subject to verification.

2.    The type of argument using "intelligent design" exhibits a common
fallacy known by several names but briefly described as attributing the
properties of the parts to the whole.

Examples show the fallaciousness of such arguments:

1.    Evert block in Minneapolis is rectangular.
2.    Therefore, Minneapolis is rectangular.

1.    Every application of paint in Seurat's paints is circular.
2.    Therefore, Seurat's paintings are circular.

1.    Every apple on Grandma's apple tree weighs a pound.
2.    Therefore, Grandma's apple tree weighs a pound.

Not satisfying, especially to those needing a loving, judging, approving
father image, but there you have it.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com