[Vision2020] Religion and morality

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 28 13:27:56 PDT 2005

> Air-Doug asks:
>
> How many derelicts, winos, wife beaters and thieves have been changed
> from the inside out by anything that he [Ralph Nielsen] or Nick Gier
> ever produced, written or spoken? Give me the name of just one
> individual that has changed from shipwrecked to saint.
>
> I won’t hold my breath.
>
> lemeno, Doug!

As far as I know, neither Ralph nor Nick have ever claimed to be
prophets, nor do they purport to perform miracles, save souls, or cure
leprosy.  If you went to them, Doug Farris, with a raging case of
athlete's foot (or mouth), I expect they'd direct you not to the Bible
but to the Tinactin.  Ralph and Nick are, respectively, biblical and
religious scholars.  They examine truth claims and sacred texts, and
they offer sound, reasoned, critical assessments of the shoddy theology
and the shoddy research that passes for scholarship at schools like
Moscow's very own New St. Andrews.  Now, I feel certain that God can
cope with the criticism.  It's you, Lemeno Doug, and Dale Courtney, and
Doug Jones, and the other Dougsciples who feel threatened by their
critiques.  Why?  If God is all powerful, if we're all predestined for
heaven or hell, then what have you got to worry about?

As for changing anyone from "shipwrecked to saint," I don't believe in
saints, Doug Farris.  I believe in human beings -- complex, fallible,
and imperfect human beings.  Could we all do or be better?  Should we
all strive for improvement?  Yes.  Perhaps a fundamentalist understand
of the Bible may help some with that task, but I would argue that it is
far from essential.  I have learned more about the Bible from Ralph
Nielsen than I ever learned in catechism or Sunday school.  I've
learned more about kindness and compassion from my family and my
friends than I have managed to glean from the collected works of Thomas
Aquinas, Calvin, Knox, Doug Wilson, Billy Graham, Norman Vincent Peale,
and Chicken Soup for the Soul.

You have no idea, Doug Farris, who Ralph and Nick have helped or how.
You challenge them to name names -- why?  So you can have a soul-saving
pissing contest?  How cheap.  How tacky.  How so very much beside the
point.  When I was in Seattle two weeks ago, I gave a dollar and a kind
word to every street person I met.  Are you ready to beatify me?

Let's get busy!  You can call me Saint Joan.  Just hide the gasoline
and the matches.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com