[Vision2020] Re: Religion and morality

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Wed Sep 28 12:20:48 PDT 2005

If we had less religion and more morality we would have fewer
derelicts, winos, wife beaters and thieves among us, which is just
what the study demonstrates. Our prisons are filled to overflowing
with Christians but have very few atheist inmates. The highest
proportion of divorce, murder, etc., is found in the southeastern
states, where Christianity is at its strongest.

As for individuals, I just finished reading that George Dubya is now
hitting the bottle again, even though he was "saved" by none other
than Billy Graham, in person.

And the other day I received this from a friend over in Great Falls,
Montana: "And yes, I am still a faithful follower, and have still the
skepticism which I have from meeting you. A gift most graciously
acknowledged. I believe, Lord; help mine unbelief. As I embrace both
and thank you and anyone else present or otherwise for my deliverance
from fundamentalism."

We met 10 years ago at a regional meeting of The Society of Biblical
Literature (real Bible scholars) in Great Falls. At that time he was
was under the influence of both mental and physical drugs. For some
years now he has been free of both.

Ralph

[Vision2020] Religion and morality

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Wed Sep 28 10:49:58 PDT 2005

Ralph Nielsen tries to present organized religion as the culprit for
the ills of society, I have one question.

How many derelicts, winos, wife beaters and thieves have been changed
from the inside out by anything that he or Nick Gier ever produced,
written or spoken? Give me the name of just one individual that has
changed from shipwrecked to saint.

I won’t hold my breath.

lemeno, Doug!