[Vision2020] Election questions (was: MCA election endorsement)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Sep 28 05:43:43 PDT 2005

Arnold stated:

"Let me understand this. So if a city administrator
does not properly rezone an area as residential, or
misreads an old map as it being residential, and an
entire housing complex is build on it, would you
ignore the solution of turning it into a residential
area, or enforce the law and demolition the entire
housing project?"

How do you determine "proper" rezoning of an area?  Your example of an
entire residential area is appropriate.  However, that is what occurred in
1990 concerning UI and downtown expansion.  The city council re-established
city zones in accordance with what the city council considered "proper".
The current city council decided not to redefine the word "school" as it
applies to our city zoning code.  As such, it is now plain and clear that
there exists some entities within the Central Business District which are in
blatant violation of that code.

That should leave our current city council with only two options:

1)  Enforce the current zoning code, or

2)  Rip up the current one and create an entire new one.

I simply feel that it is neither efficient nor "proper" for the city council
to redefine the zoning code every time the "new kid on the block" wants
privileges not normally associated with the other kids on the block.

It was earlier stated:

"Overall, this country was founded on the principal that the laws apply
equally to everyone."

To which Arnold, our local political scientist, responded:

"I urge you to reread American History and the US Constitution."

Arnold. Arnold. Arnold.  Now go back and re-read the first three words of
the preamble to that very same US Constitution:

"WE, THE PEOPLE . . . "

Enough said.

Take care, Moscow.

PS - Geesh.  I return back home after two weeks and find that nobody has
cleaned up after the dogs.  This place needs a "Pooper Scooper" law like
they have in Thousand Oaks, Califonria.

"I think one of the best ways to support education is to make successful
private schools like Logos prosper through tax exemption."

- Donovan Arnold (July 11, 2005)