[Vision2020] Election questions (was: MCA election endorsement)

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 00:51:01 PDT 2005

This question was posed by Joan Opyr:

"2) Would you enforce existing city code even if such
enforcement were painful, uncomfortable, or not
politically expedient?"

Kit Craine, candidate for city council, responded:

"ABSOLUTELY."

Let me understand this. So if a city administrator
does not properly rezone an area as residential, or
misreads an old map as it being residential, and an
entire housing complex is build on it, would you
ignore the solution of turning it into a residential
area, or enforce the law and demolition the entire
housing project?

Do you think that enforcing an unjust law is more
proper than changing the unjust law to being just?

I tend to hope that common sense, the reasonable
discretion of fair minded city officials, respect for
the city treasury, and general fair practice would
supersede the mandatory enforcement of an archaic
arbitrarily written zoning codes.

"enforcement is easy—when someone enquire about
permits, the first step should be checking to see if
what he/she wants to do is in compliance with the
zoning. If it isn’t, permits are not issued."--Kit
Craine

I am concerned when someone says "enforcement is
easy". I do not think it is easy Ms. Craine. First of
all, who determines if the interpretation of the code
is correct? Do we check with the city council to make
sure every time? Does Randy Fife, Gary Riedner, the
Mayor, who decides this on a case by case basis?
Second, if the city is now going to check and make
sure every single piece of construction,
reconstruction, and remodeling is in 100% compliance
with city code, where are we going to get the people
to do all this work? This would seem like a lot of
reading, driving, and checking to be doing. Where are
you going to be getting all this money and resources
for all this checking and enforcing? And finally, even
if it all does seem to check out fine, the decisions
can be appealed anyway to the city council, who can
overrule common sense and vote however they want, be
it the facts of the case, or the alignment of the
stars with Mars and the moon.

"Overall, this country was founded on the principal
that the laws apply equally to everyone."

I urge you to reread American History and the US
Constitution.

I do want to say that I appreciate Kit responding to
these questions, and I agree with most her answers. I
also appreciate her opposition to the Third Street
bridge, which will be a disaster for many people if it
happens. I have accurately predicted the outcome of
the last three Moscow city elections and I am more
than 85% sure that Kit Crane will be elected to one of
the city council positions.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

 One of the reasons I am running is I believe that the
City’s practice of enforcing codes only when someone
complains about a
violation is wrong. The worst situation involves the
zoning code. That We
pay a significant number of tax dollars to support a
department full of
people whose primary job is supposed to be enforcing
the code.
enforcement is easy—when someone enenquiresbout
permits, the first step
should be checking to see if what he/she wants to do
is in compliance
with the zoning. If it isisn, permits are not issued.
Citizens should
not have identify violations (after construction is
finished), research
the code, then fight the City for enforcement.

Overall, this country was founded on the principal
that the laws apply
equally to everyone. Enforcement by complaint creates
a situation where
the law applies only to those who annoyed someone
enough that the
someone takes action. That can create feuds. Feuds are
something Moscow
does not need.

Moscow also should not be wasting time retrofitting
zoning districts or
codes to resolve problems that would have been avoided
if enforcement
was required rather than optional.