[Vision2020] Not a city resident

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 24 14:22:43 PDT 2005

"Nonetheless, my zip code is Moscow, my children and
grandchildren (attended) attend  school in
Moscow"--Rose Huskey

Moscow does not run the schools and you have a vote in
the school district elections.

Moscow does not have a zip code, it is within a zip
code, it is a federal designation, not a city
designation. Boise has the same area code, do they get
a say in Moscow city elections? Students on campus
have a 83844 zip code, many of them can vote, they
live in the city.

"I worked in the city of Moscow, purchased our
groceries in Moscow, spend our entertainment dollars
in Moscow, support local retailers, etc."

So do the people in Pullman, Lewiston, Boville,
Potlatch, Troy, Deary, Clarkston, Gennessee, and the
entire Palouse region. But they choose not to live in
our fine city, and thus are excluded from our city
decisions, just as Moscow Residents are excluded from
their city decisions.

If you do not like our city council, rules or
enforcement, city officials, elected officials
representing Moscow Residents, Moscow schools, the
religion of our residents, and many of the residents
themselves, why don't you move to a city you like and
stop harassing Moscow Residents? Or propose a law
allowing anyone that works in or visits Moscow to vote
in city elections even if they do not live here.

"Wouldn't it be  wiser to govern the community
according to city code and the Comprehensive  Plan
instead of the whims Joel Plaskon?"

All laws have to be interpreted and not all laws can
be properly enforced. I trust Joel Plaskon with his
education and experience to be able to decide which
laws to be more strictly enforced and how to interpret
those laws. I also trust the city council to be able
determine when Mr. Plaskon is out of line and/or may
be doing something to harm the city.

Just because Mr. Plaskon is not willing to bankrupt
the city and shut down three schools, a college, a
university, and about five local businesses in an
attempt to seek vengeance against a group of people
you hate does not make him incompetent. In fact, I
think he has handled the situation he has been placed
in with great professionalism.

Donovan J Arnold