[Vision2020] RE: No God-is-dead theologian

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 23 12:16:32 PDT 2005

Nick

The shrillness is largely contained in your own article and that
disappointed me.  I realize you were responding to folks who you disagree
with who lay claim to acts by G-d targeting New Orleans as a city of sin,
but I can get a similar argument to yours posted from wikipedia or from less
astute fellas like Wayne (I never net a conspiracy theory I did not like)
Fox.  No doubt you have written better things, but they were not contained
in your argument as presented.

If you read some of the screeds that followed your presentation, you will
find that they were far less coherent and did indeed try to use Katrina as a
G-d is dead proof.  I note that you did not post a single correction to any
of them.

Further, as I noted, the Holocaust Philosophers from the orthodox and
neo-orthodox perspectives have dealt with many of the issues that you have
raised in your simple statement of the Problem of Evil as presented in the
article.  It’s a far different thing to deal with millions of Jews,
Cambodians, Rwandans and others killed in genocide versus a few hundred
killed in a storm no matter how big.  Lack of reference to Primo Levi, Elie
Wiesel or Emmanuel Levinas seems to me to be a serious shortfall in any such
discussion.

And I realize you were dumbing it down for general consumption, but how
exactly did that justify the last paragraph, which left philosophy and
entered the political realm?

Phil Nisbet