[Vision2020] Comments to Nick's article

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 23 11:57:26 PDT 2005

My point is perhaps mostly that the minor change in the last four years from
American contributions under Kyoto requirements can not have been the result
in increases in destructive force in the case of Katrina. It also brings up
the following;

The problem of CO2 and global climate change is largely a question of the
willingness of end users of hydrocarbon fuels to pay for the sequestration
of end products of the process of energy delivery.  At the current time,
even if Kyoto were passed in full and implemented globally, the plan is
simply to reduce the increases in annual atmospheric greenhouse gases.  The
real question is how exactly the world’s economy affords to fully stabilize
the current CO2 we emit.

There are 25 billion tons of CO2 produced from all sources on an annual
basis from all of the globe’s uses, including non-energy ones such as cement
production.  Assuming that we need to sequester all of that to reach stable
CO2 contents, what sort of tax on the basis of tons of CO2 would be
required?  Figures put out to fix carbon range from lows of $10 to highs of
$100 per ton, but let’s figure a middle point that works out to about $20
per ton of CO2 rather than on a carbon basis.  That means half a trillion
dollars are required per year to fund sequestration.

Global gasoline production is 589 billion gallons per year.  If all of the
costs for a sequestration program were funded by a gasoline tax, that would
increase the cost of gasoline globally by a little less than a dollar a
gallon.

So the question is, are the people of the planet, not just the United States
or the Annex B countries, but the whole globe, willing to pay that extra
buck a gallon?

Or if you wish, each American produces just slightly less than 19 tons of
CO2 a year, which at $20 per ton means a tax for each man woman and child or
$380 a year or $1520 for a family of four.  How many here are willing to
sign up for that tax, one which would only deal with 22% of the world’s
problem?

To get Kyoto passed, the First world agreed to allow unlimited expansion in
CO2 production in the Third World until 2012 levels.  So assume that the
Annex B countries are required to solve the problem.  Are you willing to pay
$2 a gallon of gas or $3,040 per family of four a year to achieve full
sequestration of CO2, since the third world is not likely to agree to pay
its share of those costs?

It’s easy for a few to insist that we undertake such measures, but where is
the global will, let alone the American will, to take on this problem?

Phil Nisbet