[Vision2020] Open government, open criticism

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 23 00:08:16 PDT 2005

Dear Visionaries,

Idaho is a sunshine state, meaning we enjoy (or should enjoy) the
benefit of our state's open meeting laws.  I believe in open meetings;
I believe in open government.  I believe in openness, period.  And so,
I'm sharing with the list my critique of the Moscow City Council's
decision on Monday to fling the NSA zoning complaint back into the lap
of Planning & Zoning with the briefest of "thanks for your work" from
JoAnn Mack and what I took to be a complete dismissal of P & Z's time,
effort, and hard work this summer taking testimony (much of it
acrimonious), listening to constituents, and working like stink to
hammer out a compromise re: New St. Andrews' location in the Central
Business district.  Planning & Zoning is comprised of volunteers.
They're not elected, and they're not paid.  I think they've been
treated disgracefully and dismissively by the Moscow City Council,
which essentially ignored P & Z's recommendations on Monday night,
tossing them aside as if they were written in crayon on toilet tissue.
I've written a piece on New West (www.newwest.net) expanding on this
idea and, at the same time, taking Jim Fisher to task for calling those
of us who favor equal treatment before the law "liberal jihadists."
I've got a bone to pick with Mr. Fisher -- it's his cranium.  I fear
it's begun to calcify his brain.

Anyhow, the piece is in the Northern Idaho section of New West.  Just
scroll down until you find "Head in the Sand, Ass in the Air: Moscow
City Council Gets The Ostrich Flu."

Maybe you'll agree with what I have to say.  Maybe you won't.  You'll
have an opportunity to comment at the end of the piece.  In the
meantime, I would like to extend my sincere thanks and appreciation to
the members of the Planning & Zoning Committee, chaired by Jerry
Schutz, for all of the work they did this summer and for the time they
took to listen, to learn, and to try to fix a nasty and seemingly
intractable problem -- a problem that was not of their making and,
ultimately, should not have been made their responsibility.  Having sat
through those P & Z meetings, I have nothing but admiration for the
spirit of community service that motivates the group's members.  It is
they, and not our paid elected officials, who continue to give me hope
for our city and our government.

Joan

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com