[Vision2020] Update from Rep. Trail

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 18 21:17:56 PDT 2005

Janesta,

We are not disagreeing on much. However, I think you
are mistaken if you think that the conservative Idaho
legislature would be more willing to increase the
minimum wage than the Moscow City Council or Latah
County Commissioners. Most of the local officials I
have talked to about raising minimum wage, like Linda
Pall and John Dickinson, are all the more than willing
to do so.

I also believe that the state legislature would be
more willing to give local control of the government
to people than to mandate that businesses, that pay
their re-election costs, pay higher wages.

Your argument against local governments controlling
minimum wages seems to be centered on the notion that
local business leaders would be the ones making the
decisions, not locally elected politicians that are
voted in by a population that votes 65% Democrat in
the city and 50% Democrat in the county. I admit that
Jack Nelson and Paul Kimmell would be harder to
convience to raise the wage than Linda Pall and Nancy
Chaney. However, they are more open to it the idea
than Lt. Governor Risch and Rep. Newcomb, I guarantee
it.

You are right that section 8 housing is based on
income. But there are thousands of people in Moscow
living in HUD subsidized housing and their rent will
go up without compensation. You will also move people
making $800-$900 a month into the $950-1100 range
kicking them off food stamps, which is $300 a month,
reducing their overall income to $150 less a month.
This is of course not counting kicking them into a
higher federal tax bracket and taking their kids off
CHIP. We need to think about this before just passing
laws without looking at the entire picture.

I believe that people are poor because they do not
have their basic physical needs fulfilled, not just
because they are getting a arbitrary amount of money.
for their work decided on by a group of politicians.

I know of people that quit their jobs to work at lower
paying jobs because they get better medical and child
care benefits, which in the end, lifts them more out
of poverty.

You also have to ask, where is the money coming from
to pay these higher wages? A local business with 5
employees would have to come up with $20,000 more a
year in profits or take the loss themselves. If you
are a local mom and pop shop owner making $30-$40K,
can you afford the $20K in extra expenses out of your
pocket? What if you are a business couple making
$40,000 a year with 10 employees? Are you willing to
work harder for nothing, or shut down unemploying 10
people, and try to find a job yourself, any would pay
more than $0 a year?

The problem I think, is far more complicated than just
raising the minimum wage. If raising the minimum wage
solved all problems for the poor, why is that we have
not elminated poverty having raised it so many times
in past?

I am for raising the minimum wage to prevent
exploitation of greedy business men. But I am at the
same time against putting honest ones out of business.
I think we have to be realistic about what raising the
wages will do, and what it will not do. I also think
that solving poverty and meeting the needs of the poor
is more complicated than just forcing businesses to
pay their workers more.

I hope you too have a pleasant evening Janesta and
please keep up the invaluable work that you are doing
for those with a disability. They are very fortunate
to have you fighting for them.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

=== message truncated ===