[Vision2020] conserving gasoline-How about walking/biking?

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 22:04:08 PDT 2005

How about more children walking and biking to school rather than parents driving them?
Many parents started driving their children to school because of concerns about their safety.  There is a growing concern about the amount of congestion cars cause around the schools, often creating an unsafe environment for children crossing the road and getting in and out of vehicles.  Fewer cars on the roads around schools mean safer roads for children and this is an energy efficient and non-polluting alternative to car travel.  Walking and biking to school is an easy way for parents to introduce exercise into a child's daily routine.  Daily exercise not only improves our children's physical health, it also helps their memory, concentration and academic performance.  -Tom Ivie

Tom Hansen <idahotom at hotmail.com> wrote:
I know what you mean, Dick.

My wife and I have a 1991 Toyota Pickup that we dirve sparingly.

Then we have "Old 48". We call it old because it is a 14 year-old Geo
Metro. We call it "48" because: it gets 48 MILES PER GALLON.

It may not be a babe magnet. But, what the hey, I am way passed that stage
in my life. And beside where am I going to house them all.

Take care,

Tom Hansen

>From: "Richard Schmidt" <44schmidt at earthlink.net>
>To: , "Mark Solomon"
>Subject: Re: [Vision2020] conserving gasoline
>Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:19:46 -0400
>
>We have noticed out here (Greenville, NC) that there are less cars in the
>gas stations and traffic seems slightly reduced. It was really light on
>Labor Day weekend. Nolead dropped to $2.95 this morning here. We have
>certainly cut our gas usage and have cut our trips to the store in half. I
>am doing more business on the phone and mail instead of driving and seeing
>the customer face to face. I talked to sales manager Friday who is working
>with his outside sales force to cut driving time and spend more time on the
>phone. I filled my Taurus up the other day and it was $47.00. I can
>remember not too many years ago when I was shocked when it took $20 to fill
>up.
>
>Dick Schmidt
>

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Solomon"
>Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 9:01 PM
>Subject: [Vision2020] conserving gasoline
>

>>the link below to a NY Times article seems to indicate that we've found
>>the price at which the nation's gasoline consumers start to seriously
>>change their driving habits. $3/gallon seems to be the magic number
>>resulting in an estimated 5-10% drop off in gas consumption over the last
>>two weeks.
>>
>>http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/14/business/14cnd-oil.html
>>
>>Mark Solomon

>>List services made available by First Step Internet, serving the