[Vision2020] Katrina Relief Bill, second appropriation

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 00:23:14 PDT 2005

"Housing in trailers in hurricane and tornado
country seems silly to me."--Pat Kraut

It makes peperfectense to me. When the hurricane
comes, role your trailer out of the way. What is silly
is to leave them there when the tornado or hurricane
comes. They just need to replace the bricks they are
on with wheels.

Donovan J Arnold

PS. They could also build an island way off the coast
and stack mobile homes on it. That way the tornadoes
and hurricanes go out there instead of to the
mainland.

--- Pat Kraut <pkpkrautomoscowom> wrote:

> I have been reading a mumultiart article in The
> Atlantic Monthly entitled
> "In the Footsteps of Tocqueville". The issue for
> October 2005 has part IV
> and on page 96 first column  he remarks on housing
> in the Florida area that
> I ask about the entire south. Housing in trailers in
> hurricane and tornado
> country seems silly to me. I can remember after
> Andrew Florida wanted to
> make a law that no trailers could be used along the
> coast and people raised
> a hue and cry about it. So, there are trailers up
> and down the coasts and
> they will be after more money when they all blow
> down. And they WILL blow
> down. Once again it isn't a matter of if, but when!
> I am astounded by how
> these people endanger their lives. There just has to
> be a better way.

and Homeland Security are
> run by dangerously unable folks with no idea of what
> they are doing in
> disaster relief.
>
> So, tell me, how is it exactly that a knee jerk
> response in support of
> handing those particular guys about the accumulated
> wealth of Bill Gates, 50
> Billion dollars, that is specifically targeted to
> spend till its all gone on
> ununtargetedctions as they see fit, makes sense to
> you?
>
> Because frankly, if I thought that people who I
> deemed to be raving lolooney> inincompetantozos were
going to be handed that kind
> of lucre, I am not sure
> I would be in such a hurry to shout for hurrying up
> and handing them the
> check, especially since the bill makes no provisions
> for auditing the funds
> until its all spent.
>
> FEFEMA'sdeas on how they intend to spend that money
> are symptomatic of the
> insanity you all possess.  One of the biggest
> expenditures would be for
> putting up 200,000 trailer homes as a temporary
> housing project.  Of course
> FEFEMAas no idea how many people that are evacuees
> would want to live in the
> worlds largest trailer court, but why slow down an
> idea as grand as that to
> help people?
>
> You see, if it was me, I would propose a far better
> solution.  Identify
> those impacted and their incomes.  Give each of them
> a pro rated voucher for
> the purchase of a home where ever ththayant to live.
>  You see, you could gigie> an average of $50,000 per
person to the people who
> have been made homeless
> by the storm.  A good half of those own homes that
> were insured and make
> enough that they should not be ununduelympacted
> regardless, hence the pro
> rating to send the bulk of funds to the poorest
> folks there.
>
> Then take the funds left over from that exexcercise>
and bulldoze the low
> laying areas of New Orleans, let the river back in
> and see what happens.
>
> First, the haves in New Orleans do not want that,
> since they have been the
> owners of the tourism industry, which thrives on
> cheap workers that can be
> warehoused in the slums.  All of a sudden they will
> have to get workers who
> will demand rereasonibleages.
>
> Second, the political classes do not want those
> folks not returning to live
> in their dangerous old neighborhoods.  If those have
> nonotsecome instantly
> middle class through the ownership of their own good
> homes, what happens to
> their patronage system?
>
> The Corps of Engineers does not want to lose its
> annual funding for levees
> in the area or for the running of all those pushing
> 200 pumping stations.
>
> The contractors who have been looking forward to fat
> government contracts in
> the 'clean up' phase do not want to see the money
> diluted by giving it to
> the poor.  If Tom is so hardcore against
> HaHalliburtonwhy be so supportive
> of sending them extra billions?
>
> Yet my very sensible suggestion seems to be viewed
> as being hard hearted.
> How exactly is it kinder to push those folks back
> into New Orleans and
> fatten the purses of contractors, while leaving the
> victims stranded in the
> same old below sea level slums?
>
> And when guys like Butch Otter question the idea of
> simply throwing money to
> the contractors and agencies, how is that being
> cruel to the people who will
> never see a dime of that money?
>
> Phil NiNisbet>

> Express yourself instantly with MSMSNessenger!
> Download today - it's FREE!

hthttp/messenger.msmsnlick-ururlom/go/ononm200471ave/direct/01/