[Vision2020] Katrina Relief Bill, second appropriation

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 11 12:43:41 PDT 2005

Did any of you folks here actually stop and look at what was contained in
the bill prior to setting out on an ideological rant?

On the one hand you tell all of us that both FEMA and Homeland Security are
run by dangerously unable folks with no idea of what they are doing in
disaster relief.

So, tell me, how is it exactly that a knee jerk response in support of
handing those particular guys about the accumulated wealth of Bill Gates, 50
Billion dollars, that is specifically targeted to spend till its all gone on
untargeted actions as they see fit, makes sense to you?

Because frankly, if I thought that people who I deemed to be raving looney
incompetant bozos were going to be handed that kind of lucre, I am not sure
I would be in such a hurry to shout for hurrying up and handing them the
check, especially since the bill makes no provisions for auditing the funds
until its all spent.

FEMA's ideas on how they intend to spend that money are symptomatic of the
insanity you all possess.  One of the biggest expenditures would be for
putting up 200,000 trailer homes as a temporary housing project.  Of course
FEMA has no idea how many people that are evacuees would want to live in the
worlds largest trailer court, but why slow down an idea as grand as that to
help people?

You see, if it was me, I would propose a far better solution.  Identify
those impacted and their incomes.  Give each of them a pro rated voucher for
the purchase of a home where ever thay want to live.  You see, you could gie
an average of $50,000 per person to the people who have been made homeless
by the storm.  A good half of those own homes that were insured and make
enough that they should not be unduely impacted regardless, hence the pro
rating to send the bulk of funds to the poorest folks there.

Then take the funds left over from that excercise and bulldoze the low
laying areas of New Orleans, let the river back in and see what happens.

First, the haves in New Orleans do not want that, since they have been the
owners of the tourism industry, which thrives on cheap workers that can be
warehoused in the slums.  All of a sudden they will have to get workers who
will demand reasonible wages.

Second, the political classes do not want those folks not returning to live
in their dangerous old neighborhoods.  If those have nots become instantly
middle class through the ownership of their own good homes, what happens to
their patronage system?

The Corps of Engineers does not want to lose its annual funding for levees
in the area or for the running of all those pushing 200 pumping stations.

The contractors who have been looking forward to fat government contracts in
the 'clean up' phase do not want to see the money diluted by giving it to
the poor.  If Tom is so hardcore against Halliburton, why be so supportive
of sending them extra billions?

Yet my very sensible suggestion seems to be viewed as being hard hearted.
How exactly is it kinder to push those folks back into New Orleans and
fatten the purses of contractors, while leaving the victims stranded in the
same old below sea level slums?

And when guys like Butch Otter question the idea of simply throwing money to
the contractors and agencies, how is that being cruel to the people who will
never see a dime of that money?

Phil Nisbet