[Vision2020] Mystery Bulge in Oregon Still Growing

heirloom at moscow.com heirloom at moscow.com
Fri Sep 9 07:42:43 PDT 2005

Mr. Hayman, I find your statement about the possibility of an eruption
coming from central Oregon fascinating. I grew up in southern NM near
natural hot springs and passive volcanoes. The local university I attended
put its mark, a big letter ‘A’ on the face of a dormant vent.

One of the most active areas is in the Jemez mountains just out side
of Los Alamos, NM. It is the Valles Caldera. (you can see pictures at:
http://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/geomorphology/GEO_3/GEO_PLATE_V-2.HTML
and
http://www.solarviews.com/eng/valles.htm

The Valles Caldera is about the same size as the total area of the
buldge in Oregon. When the Valles blew its top they say that the states
of Kansas and Nebraska were formed from the falling debris. That is
good for the farmers today but not so good when it blew.

Mr. Hayman you seem hopeful when you say: "it is being carefully
monitored by professionals. I'm sure glad it's happening in Oregon,
and not the Palouse." If it goes I’m not so sure the rolling hills
of the Palouse will be rolling any longer. They will probably be buried
in 100’ of ash, rock and lava. But boy what a fireworks display. It
will make the event at Mt. St. Helens look like a 2 year old with a
spoon on the beach.

I too, look forward to another geological event in my lifetime. Mt St.
Helens hit us in NM with a thick dusting of ash that ruined a lot of
auto paint jobs. I can’t imagine what this one will look like.

Lemeno, Doug!