[Vision2020] Rebuilding New Orleans (was Of Deltas and CO2)

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 4 22:32:47 PDT 2005

Joan,

You trust Bush and the government to take care of the
poor, sick, elderly, children, and disabled far more
than I do.

The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same
thing over and over again and expecting a different
result.

The Port of Louisiana is the major port, not the Port
of New Orleans. The Port of Louisiana extends almost
55 miles between Baton Rouge and New Orleans and it
should be repaired and maintained.

However, common sense and logic states it is possible
to still have a port without putting 1.3 million
people at an average of 9 feet below a sea level that
is rising every year.

It is, at least in part, all the levies protecting New
Orleans that have destroyed the wetlands around the
city by preventing the soil deposition into the
wetlands protecting it to the south. It is a catch 22.
 Prevention of soil deposits erodes the wetlands, if
you take out the levies to keep the wetlands, what
protects the city? The bigger the levy, the less the
wetlands.

It is ethically irresponsible to put children, poor,
the elderly, sick and injured, and disabled
individuals into a position where they drown or die of
starvation waiting for help if a hurricane hits the
city. To suggest that we do it again is insane. To
suggest we can build a bigger structure to hold back
nature indefinitely is naive.

Donovan J Arnold

--- Melynda Huskey <melyndahuskey at earthlink.net>