[Vision2020] Netherland's Approach Better Than New Orleans

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Fri Sep 2 13:37:36 PDT 2005

Ted,
That super volcano story sure is fascinating, I can believe the geology but
a FEMA detention center for 2 million people near Fairbanks, Alaska, built
in a giant mental facility...yea right..heck the State of Alaska sends most
of its prisoners and mental cases to the Lower 48.  FEMA can't even take
care of the 40,000 refugees at the Superdome.

The nation as a whole has ignored our infrastructure since the 1980's   Just
take a look at the loss of rail capacity in Latah County and then multiply
that across the US.
I attended meeting in Spokane that the US DOT held, their officials
expressed grave concern about our nations ability to handle disruption in
freight, their worse case scenarios are playing out as I type.

Right now here in good old Fairbanks there are huge lines at the commissary
on Forth Wainwright and my wife was telling me that even at the Safeway in
North Pole people are stocking up and buying two to three cart loads of
food.    People have lost confidence and are scared.

Chris Storhok