[Vision2020] Third Street Jam (was LMT Article)

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Oct 26 11:07:54 PDT 2005

Janesta,

Here's some irony:

This week Officer Carl Womack of the MPD wrote a short article for the Daily
News on the new crosswalks on Moscow-Pullman Highway/3rd Street.  It was a
very well written, informative article.  It clearly and simply stated the
pedestrian/crosswalk applicable law and offered tips on courtesy.  I was
very impressed.  That is, until the last sentence which said to keep Moscow
a pedestrian friendly town.

Moscow is not a pedestrian friendly town.  Although I do not travel a lot,
we go to Canada at least once a year for two weeks, to northern Idaho
several times, to multiple destinations in Oregon two or three times a year,
and to Spokane several times.  As a pedestrian, I feel the least safe in
Moscow (and Pullman).

Yesterday, a group of young ladies was trying to cross Washington from the
Anselm House corner to the new Co-op corner,  I was in the lane next to the
Co-op.  I stopped not only out of courtesy but because this group was
already in the lane closest to Anselm house -- it was thus legally mandatory
to stop.  A black SUV with Bluebird Idaho license plates in the middle lane
accelerated, narrowly missing the young ladies who had the good sense to
stop, and then pulled into my lane.

Like Janesta, I have witnessed many violations of the pedestrian crossing
laws by arrogant, distracted (cell phones, babies, etc), and/or inattentive
drivers.  Some occur at 4th and Washington right by the MPD station.  For a
real adventure try using the crosswalk across Jackson near the Daily News!

Perhaps part of the solution is for the city council and MPD to educate
themselves on what "Pedestrian Friendly" really means.  The council could
then make policy recommendations to MPD and do the other things needed to
implement the "Pedestrian Friendly City" parameters.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com