[Vision2020] Third Street Jam (was LMT Article)

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 26 10:29:06 PDT 2005

I think that a crosswalk there is a start.  However, without a stoplight it will still be as dangerous.  It does show that we are working towards a solution, though.  The argument for lights seems to be traffic volume in order to get funding for them.  That is a reason that I have heard given to explain why Mt. View doesn't have any.  Surely there is enough volume along the miracle mile to justify a light.  At least a pedestrian light that is activated by pedestrians when they need to cross.  That way the light wouldn't always be active, just when pedestrians need to cross. Even with the crosswalk, with low lighting at night, at times it feels like a Southern Texas border illegal crossing as people dart across the road.  At the Saturday morning New Cities workshop I talked to a student who crosses there a couple of times a day.  He said he didn't even notice the crosswalk until about the third time he crossed it.  I have to wonder that if they don't see it, do the drivers?

Dan Carscallen <areaman at moscow.com> wrote:Donovan says:
"I only have two traffic concerns, children crossing
Mt. View, and college students crossing the
Moscow-Pullman Highway."

Hopefully, if things work out right, you'll soon only have one concern.
Pedestrian crossings are currently being installed/painted on Highway 8
along the Miracle Mile.

Whether they will be used or not is another question . . .

DC

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com