[Vision2020] LMT Article on Rape --

debismith at moscow.com debismith at moscow.com
Wed Oct 26 19:50:40 PDT 2005

Having just completed the YWCA Week Without Violence and the Clothesline Project at
WSU, I read the article and cried. The Clothesline Project consists of over 600 t-shirts painted
over 14 years. Each shirt is painted by a survivor or supporter of someone who was assaulted,
most speaking of sexual assault. We know many of these women, we know they didn't report
the assault, and we know why they choose to not be re-victimized by the type of troglodites
exhibited by that newspaper story.

To suggest that 70% of reported rapes are false is completely insane. Why would anyone
report a sexual assault if the police already plan to discount it? It must be true that going to
Lewiston means you move 30 miles down the hill and 30 years into the past...

These officers desperately need remedial training. I would suggest they be required to come
hang the Clothesline Project, and read the stories of the people they call liars. And they should
be put on non-paid leave until they do.....next year, third week in October.

Debi Robinson-Smith, YWCA of WSU