[Vision2020] Questions About the Ball fields

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 19 20:07:52 PDT 2005

In regards to the Ball fields:

(1) Mr. Curtis mentioned that when there are games at Mt. View, the parking
lot "spills over to the street up and down from the park" - has anyone done
a parking survey to see just how many cars this involves?  Is the City sure
that 306 parking spaces are going to be enough in the new area proposed?  Is
Palouseriver Drive going to be widened to accommodate 306 (+) cars coming
into a basically residential area?

(2) During tournaments, especially those involving out of town teams
(presumably increasing the amount of people in town) is the City going to
hire additional police officers to handle the increase in traffic problems
and the possibility that people will bring their own alcohol thereby
increasing the traffic issues in that part of town?  Is the City proposing
that the police we now have would all be assigned to the ball fields,
thereby leaving the rest of the town unsupported?

(3) Are each of the fields going to have their own PA system and has the
City (anyone?) done a survey to see what kind of "noise pollution" this
would cause and just how far the noise will travel?

(4) Mr. Clyde indicated that he approached the City with the offer of the
land purchase for use as ball fields after the UI "turned us down and hung
up on us." - was any other area ever considered by the City and if so, what
were the prices of those properties? (this one cost the City $152K.)

(5) IF the City is able to construct a "smell barrier" to cut down the smell
we have to deal with around the treatment center IF a land swap were done
with the UI, why can't they do that now without the land swap?  Why does it
have to occur just with the development of ball fields?  I don't know about
anyone else, but that smell can be very overwhelming at times - almost
burning.  Why doesn't the City take care of that without it being tied to a
sports site?

(6) While I agree that Ball fields are important and needed, why can't we
improve the ones we have before we spend $2.6M on a new set of ones?  What
does this mean for the ones we have now - will they be ignored or just
dropped from use?

I know I risk getting booed out of town, but I don't feel like the creation
of new ball fields is important enough to put other items on the back burner
- this city needs roads improved, lighting improved in neighborhoods and the
treatment plant improved.  While sports can contribute to a child's
education, I do NOT feel like it is important enough to pour this amount of
money and City Staff effort into.

I also resented Mr. Curtis' attitude towards the people that disagreed with
him.  He was flippant, rude and disingenuous in his treatment of people at
the meeting last night and I believe he needs to apologize to the citizens
of Moscow.

J  ;)