[Vision2020] prices? (was: List Juvenilia)

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 12:27:14 PDT 2005

On 10/19/05, Dan Carscallen <areaman at moscow.com> wrote:

> Comparative schmomparative.  We don't want to be like everyone else.
> That's why everyone wants to come here.

There are approximately 6 billion people on this planet, and I suppose
it is indisputable that the majority of them would move here, if they
could.  However, understand that "here" means anyplace better than
where they are at, so it isn't truthfully this geographic location to
which they aspire, but the standard of living that it is assumed we
enjoy.  Our films and television exports are fabulous PR, so
"standard-of-living" and "USA" are usually linked in the minds of
non-USians.

Anyway, I've lived in many places on this globe, many of them arguably
as wonderful as the USA.  I am lucky to have the right to live here, I
know.  As a USian, I live better than 99% of the global population.
But that isn't why I live here instead of England, Canada, Holland,
Belgium, etc.  I live here because, as a US citizen, it is the easiest
option, and because my family lives here.  Many other countries
(within and without that charmed 1%) are equaly nice, I promise you.
And the citizens of some of those countries enjoy liberties that we
don't, have better medical care, and less crime.  Oh, and they pay
more taxes, (and more for petrol/gasoline), but the trade is perceived
(and not just by me) to be worthwhile. So it is valid to use the word
comparative, all things considered.