[Vision2020] Wireless Manners

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Wed Oct 19 10:46:18 PDT 2005

Yes, particularly in airline terminals where for some reason certain
folks seem to want to shout into their cell phones.  The best defense
is to just move away when possible, but often it isn't.  I do try the
icy stare or first, the imploring/pleading look.  When those don't
work, I "draw" my own cell phone--perfect that here in the West where
guns were once worn on the hip, we now wear cell phones...and i
either place a real or imagined call to someone to whom i say in a
very loud voice--SPEAK UP, THERE'S SOMEONE SHOUTING INTO HIS CELL
PHONE HERE, AND I CAN'T HEAR YOU.  this usually does the trick and
draws a few smiles from others who have been trying to ignore the
shouter.

If that the doesn't work, final move is to go stand/sit next to the
person  and continue speaking very loudly into my cell phone.  Most
will move, but those who don't are at least as inconvenienced as the
rest of us.

Maybe a more neighborly and less offensive way would be to pull out a
sheet of paper and draw:  BUY A BETTER CELL PHONE, THEN YOU WON'T
HAVE TO YELL AS IF YOU'RE ON TIN CANS AND A STRING, but that would
assume the person isn't so self-absorbed that s/he would actually
read it.

Mike