[Vision2020] V2020 questionare???????

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 16 04:27:35 PDT 2005

Just wondering how it is that without any poll of those of us who are
subscribed and members of this open forum, any "questionare" from V2020 or
for that matter a V2020 committee to devise such a was come up with.

As I recall, the list of questions was devised by Joan Opyr and then two
additional questions were added.  The bulk of posters were not allowed to
participate in this process, just a group who self appointed themselves to
target questions.  Joan, very much to her credit, said initially that she
was posting this list of questions from her role as a jouirnalist.

Now as far as I am concerned, candidates do need to interface with the
press.  If Joan's questions are those of a reporter seeking to inform the
public, even a select public covered by a paticular publication, the
candidates ought to take the time to respond.  But were all the candidates
informed that the first five supposed V2020 questions were actaully from the
press?

As for not responding to any ad hoc committee claiming to represent all of
V2020 or even a majority of V2020, lets get real.  The clique who claim to
have formed a committee obviously do not represent all opinion on this list
and have no mandate to even claim they represent the majority of this list.
It is the height of arrogance for a select group of people to make a claim
that they have the authority of all posters here without seeking the
approval of this list community.  We are not a dictatorship of the V2020
Politburo of the Progressive People's Party of Moscow, this is supposed to
be a general community list.

And what questions are asked is significanr in directing the debate.  The
list chosen obviously attempts to frame discourse from a particular
political veiwpoint.

What for example would be the thoughts that come out of questions like;

1.  What is the candidates stance on private property rights and the ability
of a property owner to seek the highest and best use of his hard earned
property ownership?

2.  Is it OK to allow attacks on religious minorities or do such actions
constitute hate crimes?

3.  Do you support free enterprise and what is the role of government in
Moscow's development?

You see those questions would spark a completely different debate.

I think that as a citizen, Bill London has every right to ask questions of
the candidates and as a fellow citizen, I would be interested in not only
what the anwers were, but also what Bill was asking.  But none of the people
who are now claiming to be a committee of V2020 have the greater authority
to claim that their personal questions are those supported and sponsered by
all of this list.

Phil Nisbet