[Vision2020] proposed ball fields/sports-complex acrossfromarboretum

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 09:43:13 PDT 2005

Julie,

I did not wish to give the impression that I am
opposed to athletic fields because not everybody uses
them.

I think it is great that we provide children with
athletic fields. However, I think we place too much
emphasis on the few and ignore the many. You do not
need an expensive new playing field to enjoy sports or
even be athletic. When I was growing up, we played on
an old dusty dirt field.

Look at Mt. View Park. When I go on my walks, rarely
is that field being utilized, most the time the
parking lot remains empty and the green fields bare
except for a family or two. Least I mention other
parks in the area that are also not fully used.

Eggan Youth Center on the other hand, is packed all
the time, and is only fit for Junior High Students.
That state board ramp was a great idea.

We need to update that facility, and build something
like it for the older youth, like 16 to 20 years old
that can get bored very easily being too old for the
youth center and not yet old enough for most adult
activities.

I would get bored as a High School Student and between
the ages of 16-20 in Moscow. I could not enter the
bars and I did not play sports. Many of my peers just
partied and did drugs, or dropped out of school and
moved. More than a decade later, we have yet to
improve on the situation.

I dislike most organized sports because competition
and the expensive equipment takes the fun out of them.
I think before we build out 226th place to play soccer
in a ten mile radius, we ought to give something to
the youth that have nothing to do before building our
226th place to play soccer in Moscow.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

--- Julie Crumley <joodge at hotmail.com> wrote:

---------------------------------

So because everyone does not like sports, the ones
that DO are not provided for?  I, personally, do not
see why people would oppose (as principle) building
new fields for children that provide them with
something healthy, fun, and safe to do, and keeps them
out of trouble.  A kid can't vandalize or commit other
crimes after school if they have soccer practice.

But I do agree that other options for children should
be available.  When I was in school, I was involved
with many school activites that were NOT athletic
(student council, senate, etc) and agree that more of
those things should be available.  We DO have a youth
center, perhaps putting more emphasis on it's use for
actual YOUTH might be helpful.

JC

*****VOTE DAN CARSCALLEN FOR CITY COUNCIL*****

COPYRIGHT 2005 JULIE CRUMLEY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. SO
THERE.

*~*The real voyage of discovery consists not in
seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.*~*