[Vision2020] Eugenie Scott's Talk at U of I

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Thu Oct 13 16:51:56 PDT 2005

Dr. Campbell,

Thank you for the correction on the deductive argument/inductive argument
error-I'll take your word for it.  I wasn't referencing the cosmological
argument; I just thought I recalled both of them originally formulated in a
deductive way. (that takes care of 1/ & 2/)

3/ I agree with Hume in so far that there does seem to be a problem plaguing
the Christian attempt at a Natural Theology, such as an argument from
design: once you do arrive at an An omnipotent Designer, how do you get to
the Classical Trinity?  However, I'd have to differ with Hume regarding the
likelihood of a moral and aesthetically inclined Being. The beautiful house
in the woods might not imply moral architect, but created moral human beings
would seem to imply a Moral Being (if there was such a Being).

4/ A bit back on topic, people like Eugenie Scott give me reason to suppose
a Christian God :-)  But on a more serious note, I'm personally not looking
for a reason to accept the existence of the traditional Christian God.  I'm
not thrilled with Plantinga all the time, but I think he offers a death blow
to traditional Cartesianism and the skeptism that follows. And I do enjoy
defending him against detractors on this point.

I look forward to discussing this with you in more detail in the future.

(I don't know how to post under a heading yet; sorry)

Thanks
Michael Metzler