[Vision2020] Vietnam War Remains Repatriated

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Oct 13 16:49:30 PDT 2005

>From today's (October 13, 2005) Army Times (www.armytimes.com)

The Bush administration force the Vietnamese government to account for those
1,800 Americans that remain listed, and have been since 1975, as missing
MIA's and unreturned POW's.

What truly perturbs me about our government is that they consider one dead
American to be horrendous and 1,800 to be a mere statistic.  That is
unconscionable.  Our government owes their families some sense of closure.

Vietnam War remains repatriated

Associated Press

HANOI, Vietnam - Three sets of remains thought to be American soldiers
killed in the Vietnam War were loaded Thursday aboard a U.S. military
transport plane headed to Hawaii, where experts will try to identify them.
U.S. soldiers carried the remains, in aluminum transfer cases draped with
American flags, onto a C-17 cargo plane at Hanoi's Noi Bai International
Airport.

The remains were recovered in the central Vietnamese provinces of Quang Tri,
Quang Nam and Nghe An in July and August.

U.S. ambassador Michael Marine, other U.S. and Vietnamese officials and
members of U.S. excavation teams attended a repatriation ceremony before the
plane departed for an identification laboratory on the island of Oahu.

"Each ceremony is important because each ceremony represents an ongoing
effort to provide answers for individual families in the United States,"
Marine said.

He praised Hanoi for its efforts since the late 1980s to search for missing
servicemen.

"I consider Vietnamese cooperation to be excellent, stellar in fact," he
said, but "there are obviously areas where we need to extend our work."

Last year, the two countries reached an agreement to resume the search for
missing U.S. servicemen in the country's Central Highlands, which have been
off-limits to most foreigners since a 2001 government crackdown on unrest
there among ethnic minorities.

There are more than 1,800 U.S. servicemen still unaccounted for from the
Vietnam War, which ended in 1975.

An estimated 58,000 Americans and 3 million Vietnamese were killed in the
war.

Take care, Moscow.

Vote on November 8th because you care . . .

For our kids
For our neighborhoods
For our town

VOTE AARON AMENT FOR CITY COUNCIL