[Vision2020] Poll on Idahostatesman.com

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 19:33:35 PDT 2005

On 10/10/05, melyndahuskey at earthlink.net <melyndahuskey at earthlink.net> wrote:
> But if we can imagine a spider that registers our existence (let's call her
> Charlotte), surely we can imagine that any "inarguable evidence" of that
> existence is beyond her.  Charlotte sees a fleeting shadow, feels an
> arbitrary and destructive force pass through her web, witnesses some large
> and blurred thing of inherent un-spiderness set in action a killing mist
> that slays her babies.  She posits from that the existence of some
> supra-arachnid being which controls her destiny, and using the spider
> senses at her disposal, construct from it a theology.  Just so, we humans
> might continue to argue from analogy, drawing on the dimly-shadowed
> understanding we can bring to bear on the fleeting evidences of a
> supra-human power.

I will happily call the spider Charlotte.  However, all I was trying
to say is that I perceive that the spider has an advantage over us.
The spider, at least, indisputably KNOWS that we exist, even if all of
our attributes must be surmised.  We, on the other hand, know nothing
about God, and must surmise even His/Her very existence.