[Vision2020] Poll on Idahostatesman.com

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:25:11 PDT 2005

> I do not cease to be amazed by the hubris of human beings who imagine they
> can fathom the intentions and actions of a being (God) whom they assert
> created the entire universe, an act which implies a God-mind and
> capabilities beyond anything the human mind can conceive.

> This is like saying a spider understand the intentions of a human being
> doing quantum mechanics.  The spider simply is incapable of understanding in
> this manner, as human beings, speculatively speaking, very well may be
> incapable of understanding the intentions and mind of a being that created
> the entire universe.

I have never understood this sentiment.  In your illustration of the
spider, the spider at least registers that we exist (or so I imagine;
I've never been inside of a spider's mind, if it has one, to verify
that this is true).  in the case of humanity assessing God, we
necessarily invent Him out of whole-cloth, as He has left us no
inarguable evidence of His existence.  Determining the intentions and
actions of this possibly/probably fictional entity is the only avenue
we have available.  It is amazing in the sole sense that attempting to
fathom the attributes of an invisible pink unicorn is amazing; an
amazing endeavor that (some might say) borders on lunacy.