[Vision2020] Poll on Idahostatesman.com

Joseph Campbell josephc at wsu.edu
Mon Oct 10 13:09:42 PDT 2005

Thanks, Chas. I'd be glad to say more on the matter but I'm sure it would
bore most folks to tears. It is NOT an easy issue to discuss and there are
few clear delineations between science and non-science that one could list.

I did mention one parameter: If a particular thesis contains propositions
that one is unwilling to reject, no matter what empirical evidence comes
their way, then it is not a scientific thesis. I think that this alone shows
that intelligent design is not a scientific thesis.

I don't pretend thought that this settles the debate. Nor do I pretend that
giving a complete set of parameters is an easy thing to do. Lastly, as I
tried to express, just because something is not a scientific thesis does not
mean that it is unworthy or that it should be rejected. It just means that
it should not be taught as SCIENCE.