[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (October 7, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 7 05:47:03 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted below is today's (October 7, 2005) UI Friday Letter from
UI President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Oct. 7, 2005

Dear Friends,

Next week, we will be interviewing finalists for the position of associate
vice president for Marketing and Strategic Communications.
The candidates, James Beaver and Wendy Shattuck, both bring a depth of
experience in marketing, public relations and communications in higher
education and corporate settings. More information on the finalists is
available at Today at Idaho, www.today.uidaho.edu.

I am committed to establishing a high profile strategic communications
initiative to advance the University of Idaho. It is critical that we
improve accurate awareness of the importance and impact of the University.
Those efforts will optimize our opportunities to continue to attract high
quality students from across the spectrum of society and garner public and
private investments in our academic and non-academic programs. The new
associate vice president for Marketing and Strategic Communications will
lead the initiative, and we have already started the preliminary market
research to develop a campaign to effectively communicate the ideas,
innovations and inspiration of the University of Idaho.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

The University of Idaho Library has published "Frontier Duty: The Army
in Northern Idaho," a collection of first-person accounts, maps and
drawings from the mid-1850s to the late 1870s. "Frontier Duty" was
compiled and transcribed by Donna Hanson, librarian and professor
emerita of the University of Idaho. She included mostly unpublished
materials from the National Archives, the Smithsonian Institution
and the Library of Congress. Readers can discover how the unfarmed
landscape of the region appeared to early military expeditions and
how the Nez Perce and Coeur d'Alene cultures were interpreted by the
military personnel via reports submitted to their superiors in
Washington. The book is distributed by Caxton Press of Caldwell,
www.caxtonpress.com.

University of Idaho wildlife student Jan Schipper is working with the
World Wildlife Fund, one of the nation's top wildlife protection
organizations, to understand reasons for the decline of jaguars,
ocelots and other neotropical cats in Costa Rica. Schipper is a
College of Natural Resources doctoral student in the Integrative
Graduate Education and Research Traineeship program. Schipper's
goal is to improve understanding of threats to endangered species
populations worldwide. He says that though Costa Rica is well known
for its protected area system, it is necessary to learn to work
outside of protected areas and engage with local human populations
in order to maintain wildlife populations within protected parks.

KUOI-FM, the U of I's student radio station, turns 60 in November.
The station is believed to be one of the oldest continually
student-owned and operated stations in the country. It will mark
its anniversary with a two-day celebration November 11-12. Current
U of I students will have the opportunity to connect with station
alumni from six decades of broadcasting. For more details on the
anniversary schedule, visit www.kuoi.org. Those wishing to make a
financial contribution to student broadcasting can visit
http://kuoi.org/give.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy