[Vision2020] Re: Not a city resident (Donovan Arnold)

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Mon Oct 3 14:04:19 PDT 2005

Melynda et. al.

Melynda wrote:

The City Council is likewise free to ignore my opinions and ideas if they
wish, whether because I live in the county or because they find them
objectionable in some way.

To recap:  a) Melynda can't vote in Moscow elections; b) Melynda may still
express her thoughts about Moscow city government; c) The City Council doesn't
have to pay any attention to Melynda.

It seems so clear. . .
-------------------------------

Maybe the Moscow City Council would not have to pay any attention to you if
you expressed concerns about Moscow City matters that impact your child
attending MSD, but I think they should, regardless of the precise legal standing you
may have to influence Moscow City affairs, given that you live in MSD, but not
in Moscow.

Perhaps your legal power to influence Moscow City affairs is not as
marginalized as your post seems to imply?  It is clear that some legal actions to
attempt to influence Moscow City affairs can be legally taken by those who legally
reside outside the city limits, though voting in city elections is not one of
them.  It has been pointed out over and over on Vision2020 that some of the
scrutiny over zoning code in Moscow has been instigated by some living outside
Moscow City limits, and apparently this sort of influence over Moscow City
affairs is quite legal, unless I missed something.

Some people obviously don't like the fact that the actions by some non-city
residents to bring scrutiny to enforcement of Moscow Zoning regs. is legal!
Maybe they have a good argument against a non-city resident taking these sorts
of actions, but current law does not support blocking a non-city resident from
a variety of legal actions regarding the City of Moscow, as far as I know.

If a Moscow City work truck ran over your child on Washington St. on their
lunch break from attending classes at Moscow High School, does this mean you
cannot sue the City of Moscow for damages because you live outside the city
limits?  I suspect that if the all the Spokane TV networks ran a news story about
an MSD student run over by a Moscow City work truck, a student that had a
parent who lives in MSD but outside the city limits, who had been ignored by the
Moscow City Council and/or the MPD about traffic safety impacting their child
attending MSD, a parent now with a seven figure lawsuit against the city, you'd
suddenly see the Moscow City Council doing back flips off the high dive to
accommodate you.

Am I wrong?

Ted Moffett