[Vision2020] One more question for City Council candidates

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Oct 3 11:11:40 PDT 2005

John,

Thank you for your thoughtful answers to the questions posed by Joan.   I am very glad that you and some of the other candidates believe that voices not within the city limits ought to be heard, considered, and responded to.  Good (and bad) ideas are not generally bounded by pseudo-geographical boundaries.

Having lived in several places were similar issues arose, I agree with most of your answer below.  In my opinion, it would be an unjustifiable and capricious use of power to require rank and file city employees to live within the city limits and for many of the reasons (and others) you list.

However, there may be some exceptions.  As you know, elected city officials must reside within the city limits by law.  One of the reasons for this requirement is so that these officials are affected by the consequences of their official decisions and acts.

There are certain executive positions where the same argument can be made.  The City Manager position is certainly one of those.  Other positions include the Community Development Director, the head of Parks and Recreation, the City Attorney, the head of city engineering (if Moscow has one), and the head of the department in charge of road, bridge, street, etc. construction and maintenance.

The aforenamed officials make decisions and, despite protests to the contrary, make working public policy which affects all citizens.  They ought be made to live with their decisions and acts if for no other reason than to see and to live with the results.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843