[Vision2020] One more question for City Council candidates

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 3 10:23:29 PDT 2005

On Oct 2, 2005, at 11:22 PM, John Dickinson wrote:

No. I think that where a person lives is dependant on so many factors
and that living in a city provides only a few advantages for a city
staff person. Here are a few reasons that someone might not be living
in Moscow: I might not be able to afford a home in Moscow; I might be
living on my grandfather’s family farm; I might have a lot of money and
decide to live on 40 acres just outside of town; or whatever. The
choice of a home is complex and personal. About the advantages of
living in town – they can get to city hall sooner in an emergency
situation; they pay the same taxes & rates as everyone else in town;
they might shop locally more often. But the more important issues are
can they perform their job and do they have the community’s interest at
heart. I believe strongly that staff can perform their job and love the
community without living here.

Donovan, are you listening?  City staff can love Moscow without
actually living in Moscow, and they have a much greater effect on
policy than I do.  Now, drip a little oil into your ears and get those
rusty wheels turning.  Have you got it?  Are you thinking?  Good!

My apologies to John Dickinson for my unauthorized use of his answer.
It has been my practice to date not to comment on the answers to these
Moscow questions as I wish to encourage participation without fear of
snarkiness.  But I was provoked, I tell you!  Provoked!

There, I feel better now.  Keely's cat is safe.

Joan

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com