[Vision2020] Earmark and intial comments on Ralph's Religion and morality

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 3 02:10:18 PDT 2005

Ted

Ar times, though we disagree on much else, I find your arguements soar to
the heights.  Perhaps, because indeed we are all human, the flashes of
brilliance can lead to a higher level of expectation that may lead one to
judge more harshly in other instances, which is unfair.

I have jumped on several groups of postings, including one of yours, that
are articles suggesting religion to be the root of all evil and further
mischaraterizing the religions that they seek to denigrate. Judaism as an
historical religio-philosophical entity is very different than relgions with
which it is lumped inthese anti-religion articles.  The Sam Harris one in
particular is deeply concerning, since it seems to suggest that the tolerant
forces of secular humanism are becoming intolerant and as dogmatic as the
most zealous sectarian fanatic.

Why is it so hard for some to simply live and let live?  Because it seems to
me that group think, a basic human response to social behavior, is far more
likely the source of conflict than religion, politics or philosophy.
Setting up an us versus them and then ascribing all the evils of the world
to those nasty old them is the cause of war, since it justifies treating
other human beings, their cultures and their very existances as less than
acceptably human.

Shana Tova

Phil Nisbet