[Vision2020] Earmark and intial comments on Ralph's Religion and morality

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Mon Oct 3 01:36:35 PDT 2005

Phil et. al.

I now read that chasuk at gmail.com did address the concept of "argument ad
hominem" in regard to your exchange with him/her over Mr. Paul's religious harm
thesis, though I still do not know for sure whether that Latin phrase is the
phrase that was sought.

Hitler and David Duke are extreme examples of individuals who so consistently
expressed a certain point of view, that to insist that we reargue all the
facts and logic to demonstrate the errors in their thinking, does seem silly.

Nonetheless, given a specific argument they made, it is still worth
demonstrating how their arguments are in error either in fact or logic, and not just to
label and dismiss them as crazy racists or bigots.  It is important that the
errors in their thinking be reexamined, based on standards of truth revealing
that we all should follow and continue to insist upon, so that why what they
think is so wrong is clearly before people's minds, so that others who think as
they do, who may be advocating similar ideologies under more clever deceptive
guises, can again be refuted based on fact and logic.

Sometimes a person who has a justly earned bad reputation just might have a
valid argument, a change of heart or thinking that departs from their
reputation, that will be grossly misunderstood and/or ignored if said person is quickly
labeled and stereotyped.

And sometimes from the beginning, some people are stereotyped and labeled in
a manner that is inaccurate or unfair to who they are as a human being.

This happens every day of the week.

If possible and practical, I'd rather have a sound fact and logic based
argument to refute any thesis that I disagreed with, rather than just declaring
what someone is saying to be of no value or obviously false based on reputation,
stereotypes or labeling.

Then again, being a very emotional human being, I often do not rise to this
high standard of truth seeking.  But at least the standard is there, full of
all the vexing and complex and seemingly insolvable problems with seeking Truth.

Ted Moffett