[Vision2020] Debate Topics for Metzler

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Tue Nov 29 10:16:14 PST 2005

Greetings:

As Michael Metzler appears to be tiring of the debate about the virtues of
the Antebellum South, I would like to redirect his attention, bypassing
altogether the issue of induction, to the problem of evil. (Wayne has more
than proved his point that he is a better logician than analytic
philosopher Metzler.) As a point of departure on my side, I would have
Michael read my column below on Katrina and evil, or for more substantial
argument I refer him to the last section of my article "Three Types of
Divine Power" at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/3dp.htm.

I cannot claim to be an analytic philosophers as Michael does.  (Good
grief, I did my dissertation on Martin Heidegger!) So I cannot follow
everything that thinkers such as Alvin Plantinga writes.  But I do know one
thing: when he proposes Satan as the solution to what I call "metaphysical"
evil, he has lost all philosophical credibility.  So, Michael, let's keep
it simple so that all the Visionaries can follow if they so choose.

And remember that for me the problem evil includes the evil that Yahweh
most obviously commits in the Hebrew Bible, including such acts as the
genocide of the Canaanites and the destruction of Job's family and
herds.  In the end it is the "Lord [who] . . . brought [evil] upon him"
(Job 42:11).  For more grisly details see my paper "Ungodly Abuse: Job, His
Wife, and Their God" at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/job.htm.

As an alternative I repeat my challenge to him to join the debate on the
Trinity I had with Doug Jones at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/trinity.htm.

If Michael is serious about abortion trumping the evils of slavery, he will
have to demonstrate where in the Bible, or alternatively where in
philosophy or science, it can be argued that the fetus is a person.  There
is no question that Africans are persons, but our philosophical,
theological, and legal tradition has generally placed personhood at the end
of fetal development. On cannot murder a being that is not a person. For my
arguments, you can read www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/abortion.htm.

There you go, Michael.  Feel free to choose your topic.

Nick Gier

THE GOOD LORD JUST DONE GAVE US A WHUPPIN'!
KATRINA AS THE WRATH OF GOD?

           Protestors outside the national headquarters of the Gay,
Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Alliance held signs such as "Thank God
for Katrina" and "New Orleans: City of Sinners and Sodomites." A
Mississippian interviewed on NPR just after Katrina hit exclaimed that "The
Good Lord just done gave us a whuppin'," but the Governor of Texas declared
that "By the grace of God we were saved."  What, for God's sake, is going
on here?

           Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do the wicked get
away with murder and the innocent die in disasters such as Katrina and
September 11? Following Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, the protestors
above claim to have a pat answer: all of us are being punished for the sins
of a few.  Most of us, however, are repulsed by such an outrageous and
poisonous diagnosis.

           My first philosophy of religion textbook contained a footnote
that showed a long term study of tornado damage in the Bible Belt.  Far
more churches were hit than bars and houses of prostitution.  If these are
"acts of God," what on earth is God trying to tell us?

           The problem of evil has bedeviled philosophers and theologians
for at least three millennia.  It is most cited reason by those who do not
believe in God.  But even most believers are not willing to admit that God
judges us with such horrendous violence.  This makes God a moral monster.

           In Agatha Christie's "Then There Were None," one of the
characters opines that those who had been murdered were "struck down of the
wrath of God."  Justice Wargrave was not convinced: "Providence leaves the
work of conviction and chastisement to us mortals."  Ironically, it was
Wargrave who planned all the murders!

           Let us see if we can actually reconcile belief in God with the
existence of unmitigated evils.        The first thing to note is that
Justice Wargrave is a good Confucian or Stoic in holding a doctrine of
General Providence.  In this view God presides over a world that operates
by natural laws and in which humans govern their own affairs.  Most people
don't realize that this is the view that Darwin held in the first edition
of "The Origin of Species."

           On the other hand, the Abrahamic religions--Judaism,
Christianity, and Islam-- believe in Special Providence.  This means that
God chooses particular prophets or saviors that embody divine authority,
and then God intervenes in history as an expression of divine will and
judgment.

           Philosophers make a distinction between moral evils and natural
evils.  The first is the result of humans choosing to do good or evil.  For
orthodox Christians the prototypical moral evil was Adam and Eve's choice
to disobey God in the Garden of Eden.  All the other evil in the world
started with this fatal decision.

	Natural or physical evil is defined as that which is not the result of any
human will: disease (both physical and mental) and natural disasters.  In a
theology in which God is all powerful, it can only be God who wills these
conditions and events to happen. Even though some Christian legislators in
Oklahoma tried to change the language of their insurance law, calling
natural disasters "acts of God" is correct Christian theology.  The
Oklahoma law makers, however, recognized the logical implication of such a
suspect that the Oklahoma legislators really wanted to say that Satan
causes all the evil in the world.  But this is the heresy of Manicheanism,
a view that compromises God's power by holding that there is another cosmic
power that is the source of evil.

        Following the Book of Job, where it is clear that Satan operates
only with the permission and delegated power of God, Christian theologians
have consistently declared that even Satan is empowered by God. Martin
Luther expressed the point most clearly: "Since God moves and does all, we
must take it that he moves and acts even in Satan and the godless; . . .
evil things are done with God himself setting them in motion." Following
some key Old Testament passages, Luther believed that Satan was the dark
side of God, the wrath of God.

        How do Christian theologians justify God doing evil?  Here is the
rationale: God cannot abide the moral evils committed by humans, so God
must show that justice must prevail.  Causing natural disasters are simply
dramatic previews of the Last Judgment, when divine justice will finally be
done.  If God is performing justice, then God is doing good not evil.  We
would call a judge who let all criminals off the hook a bad judge, wouldn't we?

        Let's take a closer look at this solution to the problem of
evil.  There is something important that has been forgotten.  When the
theologian Augustine discussed the Fall of Adam and Eve, he made a very
interesting concession: "our first parents fell into disobedience because
they were already secretly corrupted." Adam and Eve were already corrupted
because they had "deficient wills."  But who was responsible for their
deficient wills?  They could be only if they had created themselves.  The
only answer is that God created them finite, fragile, and corruptible.

        An engineer friend of mine was once hired by an auto insurance
company to analyze the steel in a broken drive shaft.  He discovered that
it was some of the cheapest steel that Chrysler could have bought for this
crucial part of the chassis.  Now it would have been absurd for Chrysler's
attorneys to state that the company was responsible for the positive
elements of the steel but not its deficiencies.
At the same time it would be unfair to demand that the steel manufacturer
make sure that there were no deficiencies at all.  This we could demand
solely of an omnipotent Creator.  As the exclusive manufacturer of all
natural things, the orthodox God is fully responsible for the deficiencies
in his products.

        I submit that General Providence is a much more coherent view if
people are going to continue their belief in God.  (Or Christians could
revise the concept of divine power as explained at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/3dp.htm.) The Confucians and Stoics also
believed that God is not a Creator.  Rather, God is coeternal with a
universe that operates according to natural laws and contains rational
beings that freely choose their own destinies.

	Following Justice Wargrave, we are solely responsible for our own
"convictions and chastisements." Instead of blaming God, we can focus on a
president who refuses to admit to global warming, who appoints unqualified
people to important offices, and who gives tax cuts to people who don't
need them.  Blame must also be laid at the feet of a Congress that has for
years refused to fund necessary infrastructure repairs and
maintenance.  Finally, Louisiana and New Orleans government officials are
responsible for not being prepared for the big storm they knew was
coming.  And God had nothing to do with it.