[Vision2020] The crazy side of the line

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Mon Nov 28 17:02:13 PST 2005

Joe Writes:

allowed dogmatism about all the evils of the culture of the South if I'm not
allowed to think there was something respectable about it."

Now we have finally hit on the main frickin' point. The reason we can be
dogmatic about the moral benefits of contemporary society over the pre-Civil
War south (or north, for that matter) is SLAVERY! Slavery is a line in the
sand, Michael, and you cannot justify it without standing on the crazy side
of that line.

Me:

Joe, thanks for the comments.  I wasn't speaking of slavery, and Keely was
speaking to social realities in addition to slavery. I think we've here
gotten away from the point. The context of this discussion is the
confederate flag.  I do not think it is wise to characterize an entire
civilization in terms of one practice, particularly a practice that was not
understood universally as a simple evil at that time. But I'm not sure what
I have said that would suggest I want to "justify" slavery; so perhaps this
discussion has gone far enough.

thanks

Michael